08 expedition el motor issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hungarian24

Reaction score
So I have an 08 ford expedition el that has a check engine light. Took it to auto parts and a mechanic to get the codes P0340 and P0344. I was told to change the passenger side camshaft position sensor so I got the new part and changed it. When I started it and let it warm up, the check engine light came back and it started to make a clunk noise on the driver side of the engine. So I tried to get some inputs from mechanics and was recommended to change the camshaft position sensor on the driver side. So I did and same thing, check engine light came back with the same codes and the clunk sound on the driver side of the engine. Took it back to the mechanic and was told to replace the sensors connectors, so I did and nothing. Check engine light came back and the clunk sound. Also i checked the oil before every start up. Please give me hope that it can be saved (fix). I do have a video of the sound I just don't know how or if I can post it.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
How many miles are on the vehicle? I would continue to check the wiring at the sensors, and to the sensors.
Depending on the mileage, the vehicle is probably do for a timing job....

-Joseph

tvlunn

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but do you still have the old passenger side camshaft position sensor.

If so, put it back on and see if the "clunking sound" goes away. I suggest this because you indicated the clunking sound did not appear until this sensor was replaced.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Here's a link that provides some insight into your problem and its diagnosis. This may be too technical for some, but if you find that it is you'll at least have information to work with a knowledgeable mechanic. Throwing parts at this kind of problem is a waste of money and injects new potential problems into the mix.

This analysis will put you way ahead in your troubleshooting:

Reaction score
OK, Lets get you straightened out
The Camshaft sensor provides data to the Engine Management Computer (ECM). The ECM uses that data for many things, one is to properly position camshaft timing through the Camshaft, Solenoids and Phasers. The Phasers are adjusted via the phaser solenoid (VCT), which operates using Oil Pressure.
With the camshaft sensor not working, the ECM would not be sending a signal to the (VCT) and therefore adjusting the Phaser. Once you replaced the camshaft sensor, the ECM was able to signal the (VCT) and therefore adjust the phaser.
That is when you discovered you had a faulty camshaft Phaser (Typical Noise), or .... Low oil pressure causing the Phaser not to operate properly....
Since you need to go into the engine to have the timing assembly replaced. There are some things to consider.
1- Aftermarket parts don't work well with the 5.4L engines, to assure effective repair, use OEM parts (I learned this the hard way, and had to tear the engine down (again) because the aftermarket chain guide broke)
2- Verify your cam lobes and rockers on your passengers (Right) side are not damaged. If the timing chain tensioners are leaking then its highly likely your Right side cam shaft is damaged, especially near the firewall.
3- It's also recommended that you replace the oil pump with a High Volume oil pump when you replace your timing assembly.

At your mileage, I would suggest performing a cylinder compression test. If that test is low or borderline... Its time to Consider a complete engine rebuild... Its far easier to replace the timing assembly if the engine is out of the vehicle, trust me I have done this job. If you need to replace a worn camshaft and worn rockers, due to oil pressure loss from leaking cam chain tensioners, along with other timing components. My suggestion would be, pull the engine and go through it.

Crate engines (long block) range from $3000 to $4600 (Ford), you can easily add another $500 to $1500 for incidentals, such as gaskets, water pump, Spark Plugs, Plug Coils, Injectors, Pressure regulator, Oil and Air filters, oil, coolant etc. Plus you will need to "core" your old engine if you go this route.

Go to You tube and listen to faulty 5.4 phaser noise. Example below...

Most resourced video producer on Youtube relative to repairing the 5.4L 3V

Here is a resource about rebuilding the 5.4L, Gives you an idea of the project.

Hope all this helps...
A

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If this is a parts store (Orielly, or Autozone) sensor I would strongly recommend that you purchase a Motorcraft sensor or a known good brand from RockAuto.com or other reputable site. I have resolved more than a few issues by swapping out to a reputable brand sensors. I have had far too many failures to ever try a parts store sensor or electronic component.

As other have pointed out though there are tensioners issues on these and a full timing job should be considered. I did mine around 180K or so, sitting at 226 now.

Herby

Reaction score
Triton engines are VERY sensitive when it comes to flow. You say you checked the oil. When was it changed last?