09 Camshaft Sensor Error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamusDemus

Reaction score
Long story short, I had several codes for the Camshaft and very rough driving and idling but no issues starting. Loss of power.

Started with these codes:
P0345 Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2
P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1
P0346 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range Performance Bank 2
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range
P0012 Camshaft Timing Over Retarded Bank 1
P0022 Camshaft Timing Over Retarded bank 2

Most of the time only the Bank 2 codes would show up. Bank 1 codes would rarely pop up.

Replaced Camshaft Sensor in Bank 2 and it was driving better for a few days. Now I'm primarily getting the last 2 codes and it's doing the same thing.

I'm planning on replacing the Bank 1 sensor today or tomorrow. Hoping this fixes the issue. But, if not, anyone else run into something similar? There's A LOT of input out there. I'd rather not have to open the engine and replace anything internal.

Brons2

Reaction score
Suspect the phasers or solenoids, or both. You're most likely going to have to open the engine to resolve it. If you end up doing a timing job, replace the oil pump with a Melling high volume pump while you're at it.

OP
OP
J

JamusDemus

Reaction score
Thanks.

Ended up replacing both sensors and it seems to have worked fine for much longer than it did... but I'm getting a P0346, Camshaft Sensor Bank 2 error again. Nothing else generated this time.

OP
OP
J

JamusDemus

Reaction score
I did a flush in the engine, coupled with new sensors. The problem comes up less frequently. Only a P0022 and P0346 codes now. I'm checking some other things.

Brons2

Reaction score
I think you need a reality check. I'm not trying to be rude, I would like to help you in any way that I can through a web forum. Many owners have faced these problems before you and it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to resolve this issue without opening up the engine, especially once it starts throwing codes.

A flush is not going to do much unless there is serious sludge, the phasers have been revised something like 6 times by Ford. There are folks with engines that are practically new looking on the insides that have had to do phaser replacements. If you have the original phasers, they're going to need to be replaced eventually. Even the updated latest and greatest ones fail after getting high mileage. It's a bad design but overall costs of ownership are greatly helped by replacing them yourself.

Also as FordTechMakuloco mentions in many of his videos, don't run 5w20, run 5w30 or thicker and parts will last longer. The Ford spec for minimum oil pressure is 25psi. On top of everything else the oil pumps are aluminum and they wear internally over time. This problem is exacerbated by the seals blowing out on the timing chain tensioners, if the oil pressure issue gets bad enough the passenger bank head will get starved for oil as it is later in the oil circuit, and bad things can result.

Believe me, I've got skin in the game here. I have a timing kit and a Melling high volume oil pump sitting on my workbench in the garage for my 2010 Navigator. I'm just waiting for cooler weather as I live in Central Texas and working on your vehicle when it's 95+ and humid is not fun. The engine doesn't throw codes but on 5w20 it runs rough at hot idle and the ticking is pretty noticeable when you're at a drive through and right next to a building. I switched to 10w30 at first when I noticed the issues which was somewhat of an improvement and then for this summer went 10w40, the ticking is audibly much reduced and it runs much smoother at idle in 95-100 degree weather with this thicker oil. But still, I wouldn't be surprised if it started throwing the same codes tomorrow that yours is throwing.

These vehicles are still a lot nicer than the GM large SUVs, the interiors fall apart badly on them and they have camshaft lifter issues with their displacement on demand 5.3 designs. It's worth it to put in the time on your Ford, it will pay you back in the long run.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am so done with Ford for this cam phaser crap. I've had fords forever since my 71 pinto. Made theistake if getting a 2011 Expy and about put as much money in it as what it's worth. I thought it was the same engine as my van, which was the best vehicle I've ever had, but nooooo.

I've never had a worse POS since my Chrysler Town & Country.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am so done with Ford for this cam phaser crap. I've had fords forever since my 71 pinto. Made theistake if getting a 2011 Expy and about put as much money in it as what it's worth. I thought it was the same engine as my van, which was the best vehicle I've ever had, but nooooo.

Yes that's why the OP started this thread for you to rant. Thank you soo much for that as i had just got my wife in a good mood yesterday and thought i would be b**** free today But instead I'm reading your B****ing. Is she paying you? Because that is my money give it back.

Brons2

Reaction score

I test drove 20+ GM large SUVs before turning my attention to Ford. I didn't want the cam phaser issues either, but I found that I absolutely COULD NOT DEAL with the horrible interior quality of the GMs of the same vintage. Only 1 out of those 20+ did not have a dash that was cracked in multiple places. And they all rattled like crazy.

And it's not to say the GMs don't have issues either, they do. You have to lock out the displacement on demand in the computer if you don't want to have issues with the camshaft lifters once they get high mileage. And be way more obsessive about oil changes than is indicated by the oil life monitor. Also they don't deal well with a lot of idling, folks have flattened camshaft lobes idling service vehicles too much with the 5.3/6.0.

Knowing that, what is your option? Nobody else makes a large SUV at the size of Ford and GM. What else are you going to do? Go buy a GM if it makes you happy. Go rant about Ford somewhere else.