+105,000 Miles, Time to Replace Shocks/Struts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmaylock

Reaction score
Hello,

My 2007 EB Expy is at @106,000 miles. I'm trying to determine if I should replace the shocks and/or struts.

I've gone through an evaluation checklist checking for:

• Leaks
  • Traction Loss
  • Body Roll
  • Braking Nose Dive
  • Tire Cupping
  • Bump Bottom-out
  • Acceleration Squat
  • Ride Harshness
  • Swerve

Candidly, I don't think I'm experiencing any of those things. I also had it up on a lift recently and didn't see any leaks.

I am the original owner. Because performance degrades so gradually, I'm probably not aware of any degradation in performance. That being said, automotive experts suggest replacing shocks and struts after 50,000 miles to restore performance.

My questions are:
Should I replace the shocks and struts even if I can't really detect any performance problems?

Because it's at @106,000 miles, should I just replace them?

My goal is to perhaps get it back to level of performance I had when I drove it off the dealer's lot...

If it helps in answering my questions, I'm planning on keeping the vehicle until at least a year after the new body style comes out. So, I'm estimating I'll have it for 2-3 more years.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I come from the point of view to NOT replace wear-items until they are worn. Apart from data showing excessive wear (including: Does it still drive okay? Do you ever FEEL the shocks?) I'd save the money.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wont happen unless u swap springs as well...springs have settled and are what they are going to be...so the shocks might improve a little...not like brand new unless u change all suspension parts...new style comes out for 2015 then complete redesign in 2017...if u don't need to replace them now...wait

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess I'm the minority in saying to replace them. I thought my truck rode good when I bought it. Then I upgraded to Bilsteins in the front. I found the stock shocks were leaking. It rides s lot better now.

OP
OP
mmaylock

mmaylock

Reaction score
wont happen unless u swap springs as well...springs have settled and are what they are going to be...so the shocks might improve a little...not like brand new unless u change all suspension parts...new style comes out for 2015 then complete redesign in 2017...if u don't need to replace them now...wait

Yeah, I also considered replacing the springs as well. Overall, it doesn't sound like a great return on investment to replace the springs, struts and shocks at this point.

Thanks also for providing the redesign release date. I'm figuring on waiting a year after it's been released to get the kinks out.

Thanks again...

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMO, shocks usually don't last 100K miles. If you don't think they need to be replaced, don't. But I would bet if you replaced them, you would be glad you did when it rides better.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
kindly update your signature line with year model and engine information. This can be done in the USER CP section as this information helps others give you replies specific to your expy

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you need to ask permission first on USER CP, its lock on my part

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Come On Guys !! You all know that generally speaking that all Ford vehicles which have standard shocks or struts have a life span of approx 50,000 miles. Those struts are way over due for changing. Worn shocks and struts left on any car or truck only cause other problems, not to mention the ride issue.

dmont

Reaction score
As a related question, is there a certain life expectancy of the rear air suspension components or are these simply replaced upon failure?

I occasionally get a "check air suspension" notification if I drive off-road and I'm wondering if the system is starting to show some fatigue.