12 mpg???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
i try to keep it at 70 on the higway and rarely step on the gas. i am trying out the 91 octane hope that helps. will look into cleaning the map sensors. sorry to ask but is it something i can do or does the dealership do?

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
my theory is the rims being too heavy and having 4x4 but i feel like i get better mileage on 4x4 vs 2x4. but i do live 2500 above sea level does that have an effect on my mileage since its a turbo? lastly is there tunes out there that decrease power? 470tq is more than i will probably need daily

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NFG2020, please stop your train of thought with "detuning" the engine.

The higher octane may help, but all the engine needs is at least 87 octane to function. Higher octane will usually give the engine a little more pep, and maybe a little more mileage (like .05-1) but it ain't moving 12 to 22 mpg (I spend time at both sea level and 4200 feet) elevation. Now if you are somehow always driving uphill...

Also, please post a picture of your truck please b/c unless you have 44 in mudders, factory rims ain't your problem.

It sounds like something is wrong with the engine or driveline but it will take someone with a knowledge of vehicles or a mechanic from Ford to figure it out. Unless it is literally your driving style and we can't interpret it over the internet.

lscrx

Reaction score
my theory is the rims being too heavy and having 4x4 but i feel like i get better mileage on 4x4 vs 2x4. but i do live 2500 above sea level does that have an effect on my mileage since its a turbo? lastly is there tunes out there that decrease power? 470tq is more than i will probably need daily

If you were to tune your engine for less power you would be wasting fuel not saving it. Your best bet would be to put the truck in "eco" mode when you first start driving and then accelerate/brake less if possible, and keep your speed down on the highway.