150K oil report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That reports looks great for your engine. How about the rest of the SUV? Any issues besides paint bubbling to prevent?

OP
OP
ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That reports looks great for your engine. How about the rest of the SUV? Any issues besides paint bubbling to prevent?

Like all of my previous Fords, suspension components have the primary issue in terms of reliability. After 3 rear struts blew, I replaced with Bilstein 4600s and haven't had an issue there since. In the front I had an axle seal go on the passenger side a few weeks ago and I have a wheel hub assembly that needs to be replaced on the driver side.

Aside from that, the only other issues have been with the extras. The original power running boards failed. One replacement failed completely and the other is on its way out. The power sunroof guides broke. The climate controlled seats stopped working years ago. The driver side window sounds terrible (another common Ford issue) and surely needs a motor/regulator. Like grandpa used to say, more options just means more to break. He had manual windows by choice right up to the last car he ever owned. :D

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Read your manual. It calls for (ford part#)XO5w20QSP motor oil. That is syn-blend, not conventional. You spent $25 on oil analysis, but use cheapo oil?

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Read your manual. It calls for (ford part#)XO5w20QSP motor oil. That is syn-blend, not conventional. You spent $25 on oil analysis, but use cheapo oil?
May have used cheap oil but apparently it’s working for him. Blackstone is top notch and knows what they are doing. Apparently OP does as well

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe you're overspending on oil?

OP
OP
ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

First, my manual lists a number of recommended oils, one of which is a conventional oil. It also indicates that any oil meeting spec WSS-M2C930-A (ILSAC GF-4) is acceptable, which pretty much any conventional oil does. See for yourself.

oilt.jpg

Second, I can get synthetic for free (after rebate) most of the time whereas I am never able to get conventional for free. I use conventional primarily because that is what was always used in this vehicle (I am the second owner) and I don't want to deal with any leaks that might arise from switching to a synthetic. (No, I am not saying synthetic causes the leaks. I just want to make that clear for any fool that is aiming to put words in my mouth.)

Third, I have researched the topic to death and have found no evidence to suggest synthetic offers any improvements in longevity unless the aim is for 400K plus. As much as I would love to keep my truck that long, I know that the truck will rust out long before I get anywhere near there. By the 15-20 year mark she will be so rusted out she won't pass state inspection.

In any case, you can see the engine is doing just fine with conventional oil and 5W-20 no less. You can obsess over conventional vs synthetic and 20 vs 30 if you'd like, but I stand by my position that it's largely irrelevant as long as you do timely oil changes and aren't aiming to drive the vehicle forever.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
First, my manual lists a number of recommended oils, one of which is a conventional oil. It also indicates that any oil meeting spec WSS-M2C930-A (ILSAC GF-4) is acceptable, which pretty much any conventional oil does. See for yourself.

oilt.jpg

Second, I can get synthetic for free (after rebate) most of the time whereas I am never able to get conventional for free. I use conventional primarily because that is what was always used in this vehicle (I am the second owner) and I don't want to deal with any leaks that might arise from switching to a synthetic. (No, I am not saying synthetic causes the leaks. I just want to make that clear for any fool that is aiming to put words in my mouth.)

Third, I have researched the topic to death and have found no evidence to suggest synthetic offers any improvements in longevity unless the aim is for 400K plus. As much as I would love to keep my truck that long, I know that the truck will rust out long before I get anywhere near there. By the 15-20 year mark she will be so rusted out she won't pass state inspection.

In any case, you can see the engine is doing just fine with conventional oil and 5W-20 no less. You can obsess over conventional vs synthetic and 20 vs 30 if you'd like, but I stand by my position that it's largely irrelevant as long as you do timely oil changes and aren't aiming to drive the vehicle forever.
WRONG. Read it again. The last column Ford part#/FORD SPECIFICATION! Ford XO-5w20-QSP, WSS-M2C930 that is syn-blend. Ford probably knows more about there engines, than you do.

OP
OP
ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WRONG. Read it again. The last column Ford part#/FORD SPECIFICATION! Ford XO-5w20-QSP, WSS-M2C930 that is syn-blend. Ford probably knows more about there engines, than you do.

There appears to be an issue with your reading comprehension. The image is in front of you and lists a conventional oil. Furthermore, it indicates specs (WSS-M2C930-A / ILSAC GF-4) that - despite your confusion - do not indicate a synthetic blend.

Again, those specs are satisfied by - at the very least - every mainstream conventional oil on the market. Here is Quaker State's 5W-20 conventional oil TDS, which indicates it meets those specs. You will find the same indication on all of the mainstream conventional oils.