'17 Expedition vs Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tphford

Reaction score
Stupid question here. My '17 expedition limited has a 3.5l ecoboost engine. Isn't that the same engine as the raptor that puts out a bunch more horsepower? If so, can it be reprogrammed to produce the same amount or close to the same amount of power? Or are there a bunch of things that need to be done from exhaust to computer chip, etc...

Thanks!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The raptor has the 2nd gen ecoboost..... for now...... rumor has it that isn’t going to last and the new big 7X will be taking its place in the 2020 MY. Whether that is a 6.2L redesign comeback or a new engine we will see. Your expy has gen 1 ecoboost with DI. The 2nd gen can be played around with to get the raptor performance but only Ford can safely do it so that it runs at all the correct parameters. I’d just tune your ecoboost, lots of good tuners out there that will juice it up and make it fly. Lots of users on here have done it with great success.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Second that. I’ll be getting a 5 star tune here shortly

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Raptor HO 3.5L uses direct AND port injection whereas the other 3.5L are (just) direct injected.

I won't act like I understand it, but the HO 3.5L does something to keep manifold pressure high to keep the turbos spolled up. This eliminates or seriously decreases lag.

I believe the Raptor also has a true dual exhaust system front to rear.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They probably mess with the valve timing to open exhaust sooner and allow some of the power stroke to escape and act like an anti-lag system.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition