19 - xlt should i buy (fx4 and or tow pkg)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therabbittree

Reaction score
We have xlt with hd tow package. I wanted the fx4 but couldnt find one in silver-spruce hd tow and fx4. I just ordered all the skid plates the fx4 has plus the raptor trans pan and it was about $850 shipped to me. Expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3.73 vs 3.10 isn’t a big deal regarding freeway use. I’m in Bay Area and family in LA. Do lots of Sierras camping and longer National Parks trips Moab etc.

My primary interest was the locking diff and true 4Low setup. I do tow quite a bit but my trailer is typically less than 2000lb. So the max 9200lbs wasn’t a big selling point. If I ever did go big on a fancy trailer I would still be in the 5000lb max range anyway. Those jumbo Apartments on wheels aren’t my style. Lol

So far the 3.73 setup in the Platinum is doing max 18mpg in town tank averages and 21-23mpg Highway trips 65-75mph speeds. It cruises at 80mph at 2800rpm! I can’t Imagine the 3.10 gear set being more than maybe 1mpg bump on the highway. Coming from a Sequoia that was 14-15mpg in town and 16mpg highway trips the Expedition is awesome. LOL

The 22’s however are not dirt road tires/wheels!!! I do like how it drives with them tho. So we’ll see how they do. If they wear fast and cause me issues on camping trips I might be rounding up some factory 18’s with Factory sized rubber. I’ve gone bigger and more off road rubber and it was too much for my needs and the hit to Highway performance was big. So likely going middle ground on the tire subject when the 22’s are done.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
Personally, I'd wait a bit for the prices to come down and get the 2020 XLT FX4 w/ the 360 camera (not available on 2019).