1997: Rear Rotor Removal (GRRRRR!!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

feedbag

Reaction score
Trying to replace the rear rotors on my 97 Expy. The drum/parking brake is keeping me from removing them. Tried to loosen the the parking brake via the trusty old drum-brake adjuster on the backing plate and the teeth broke off! I'm 100% certain that the rotors are loose from the hub.

Is there any other way (other than cutting the parking brake cable) to get tension off the parking brake? I honestly can't see where cutting the brake cable would help, actually.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The rotors are warped. It has 170k on it so it's time for new pads and rotors.

Thanks!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The parking brake shoes are held down by 2 studs that should come throught the backing plate. They look like nail heads. If you can cut/drill out the heads of the studs, you should be able to pull the whole assembly free without cutting the e-brake cable.

OP
OP
F

feedbag

Reaction score
The parking brake shoes are held down by 2 studs that should come throught the backing plate. They look like nail heads. If you can cut/drill out the heads of the studs, you should be able to pull the whole assembly free without cutting the e-brake cable.

Ahhh.....

Many thanks! Will let you know how that goes. :)

GP-TJ

Reaction score
Ahhh.....

Many thanks! Will let you know how that goes. :)

I know this is an old post but how did this work? Anyone have any ideas on this job. I'm doing mine again and know the drivers side is stuck and the adjuster for the parking brake is frozen and I'm just knocking teeth off it. Passenger side was disassembled last year and adjuster lubed so that side should be ok.

Thanks
GP