1998 Expedition XLT interior lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullybeav

Reaction score
Good morning! I have a question for the group. I bought a used expedition a few months ago have slowly been taking care of deferred maintenance items. I'm curious about lighting on the headlight switch, and the 4x4 switch. Do either of these have a backlight? I know on the headlight switch there is a lamp that comes on when you switch on the fog lights, but so far that is the only one i've seen. With the parking lights on there is no backlight on the headlight switch or the 4x4 switch. Does anyone know if these have replaceable bulbs before I pull them out?

Thanks! Great forum, i've been enjoying reading about peoples projects.

Idahokid

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same vehicle as you.When I turn the 4x4 knob on the dash in the lower right hand side you should see a awd,4x4 ect. I can’t answer your second question.I do wish our trucks had cruise control indicators on the dash.Its a very bare bones package.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think they do. I have a 2000, and except for the indicator light for the fog lights, theirs no indicator. As far as cruise control, mine has a lit cruise on right side of instrument cluster. I'll double check tonight to verify about back lighting of switches.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I was wrong. I checked the backlighting on both the headlight switch, and the 4 wheel drive switch. They both light up with lights turned on. First I'd check fuse/fuses, their probably 5-10amp fuses. Sorry my books are 2000, I believe 98 is different. Beyond fuses, your pulling panels, replacing bulbs.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anytime.

Idahokid

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I misunderstood the question.I do have backlight that lights up the Switches.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The 2000 headlight switch without fog lights has no backlight in its headlight switch.
The 2000 headlight switch with fog lights has backlighting.

If you install the fog light switch in a car without fog lights, the backlight will work.

crazyjerry

Reaction score
it took me a little while to figured the fog lights on my 07 expy. can anybody out there tell where can find some interior lights dome front door lights and other small interior parts, the plastic breaks real easy,