1998 rear console remove back cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 1998 Eddie Bauer with the rear console heating/AC controls. The rear fan always worked. Now, when I turn on the fan, I can hear the fan running, sounds like it is blowing but no air coming out the vents. I change the diverter (top bottom lever) and still no air coming out the top or bottom.

Just wondering what to check. I started to pull up the rear console cover, it unsnapped from the bottom and came up almost all the way, kind of like it was hinged. Then stopped and the top did not want to let loose. Just wonder how that top part comes off and also what I can look for.

Thanks guys.

Brian

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Brian I went thru that last fall. Here's what you need to do:
Pull the rubber insert in the front of the console.
Remove the screw
Remove the single screw in the top front of the console where the cd changer is
Remove the top cover to the front of the console.
Remove the 2 floor mount bolts
Pull the plug on either side of the rear of the console and remove the bolts
Lift the front of the console and slide it forward to remove it
Disconnect the electrical plug
Your heating problem is the white controller on the underside of the console that opens/closes the air damper to the rear. Rather than spend $70 for it I just opened the damper and put a sheet metal screw thru it to keep it permanently opened and it works great.
If you need anything else let me know.
Ken

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Ken,

Thanks so much for the detailed response. Let me ask you this, can I get at it by just removing the plastic cover with the controls on it on the rear of the console? I started to remove it, it pops off and starts to go up like it has a hinge on the top. I stopped as I was afraid it was going to snap, just wasn't sure. Looks like if you pop that rear plastic cover with the fan control and audio contol on it you might be able to get at the damper and fan. What you think? Thanks again.
Brian

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brian if memory serves me right you have to pull the console and turn it over. The controller is on the bottom side. You have to remove the electronic controller to open the damper to be able to permanently sffix it open.
Ken