1998 Spark Plug Torque Setting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tvlunn

Reaction score
I have a Ford Expedition that was purchased new and is just now turning over 100K miles. So, I want to replace the plugs and coils. After much reading and research I feel I can do the job and I am ready to begin; except for one detail. The Ford manuals and most individuals online state that the correct torque for the spark plugs is between 80 and 168 inch pounds (7 – 14 ft/lbs). I just recently purchased a torque wrench to ensure the plugs were torqued properly. Then I come across a couple of online sites that state the torque setting is not enough and has been changed to 26-30 ft/lbs.

Which is correct?
Has this spec been changed from what the Ford manuals indicate?
Does anyone know what torque setting a Ford mechanic uses on routine tune-ups?

Thanks so much!

OP
OP
T

tvlunn

Reaction score
Thanks! That was great video and his suggestion to torque at 20 to 25 Ft/lbs sounds reasonable!

Thanks again!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the Ford manual is stating a lower torque setting I would go with that. By using a higher torque setting you may end up blowing all 8 plugs out.

OP
OP
T

tvlunn

Reaction score
If the Ford manual is stating a lower torque setting I would go with that. By using a higher torque setting you may end up blowing all 8 plugs out.

Thanks, but that seems to be the issue. Folks are IMPLYING that Ford has changed the torque setting because the lower torques indicated in the Ford manuals allowed the plugs to loosen and blow out. I have NOT been able to confirm this through a Ford dealer as of yet. I would have thought someone would know "the rest of the story" and be able to put this controversial matter to rest. It is frustrating to get the different opinions, but hoping someone will know the facts and share!

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The guy that made the vid is a Ford tech he has a lot of insite on the topic

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck getting a torque wrench in there. You're going to need a swivel and a few different length extensions.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what it is worth mine are torqued to 13 ft/lbs with an extention so at the plug it is less. Been in there for about 12,000 miles. None have launched. But what is interesting is the amount the torque wrench moved - about an 1/8 before it clicked just like in the video.
If I get a chance in the next few days I will check the torque on a few to see if they are loosening.