1999 EB 5.4 4x4 weird issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

josh1095

Reaction score
big matt: in 99 they got rid of the front vac hub system. they are permanently locked. it used a torque on demand system that, from what i gather is activated automatically when the pulses from the front and rear d shafts start to mismatch. it detects the rear slipping and engages clutch for front power. its an overly complicated system lol. i would be happy with 2hi and 4lo. straight forward and dirt simple. the truck was hit in the rear pass side and theres a good chance they replaced the rear from 3.55 to a 3.31. that would explain why my speedometer understates my actual speed. my real speed is 73 when the speedo indicates 65. only a lower rear end gear ratio can do that(or a larger diameter tire/wheel combo, but thats not the case). if people were honest this world would function so much better, all the previous owner had to do was tell the truth and it wouldve saved me 500 on a wild goose chase. ill report back when i run the numbers adn do the actual check this weekend.

bigmatt207

Reaction score
okay then maybe I'm F****d, i ordered a vacuum reservoir that i was told controls the front hubs, like you said maybe if people started being honest this world would function right, good luck and defiantly keep me updated, winter is coming and i really don't wanna have to mess with this after 8 inches of snow has fallen.
Thanks

OP
OP
J

josh1095

Reaction score
ok, ran the numbers. my stock factory gears are 373. front is 373 rear is....... a 331!!! those ****************************s right? i got a 373 rear today, installing it tomorrow. that was the problem all along. no wonder those mechanics had such a hard time troubleshooting the problem, who would ever put the wrong differential in??? they all cost the same price....

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
KARMA guys....it will circle back and get those who need it, yes its a shame people cant tell the truth, but Josh look at the bright side, YOU da'man... meaning you figured it out and more than likely got a great deal and got a nice truck...and you learned things along the way...I always tell people that's "LIFE" banging on your hood....yeah the 500 would be better on a exhaust kit or a new programmer, but sometimes we have to learn life's lessons to become smarter....not trying to preach to you, but let you know we all have dents on our hoods....LOL...

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Prior owner may have done that for gas mileage.... who knows. Glad you got it sorted though. At least that transfer case shouldn't give you any issues!

OP
OP
J

josh1095

Reaction score
thanks baker, and after thinking about it, i can always earn another 500, ya kno? moneys, money. knowledge and experience? thats worth alot more. i will post back this afternoon when we finish and let ya'll know how it went and how the 4wd functions when theres 2 compatible diffs in the truck! lol

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Josh, your welcome....you can always try and sell the extra parts...the ones you can use keep for spares!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX