1999 Ford Expedition No Start No Crank - Electrical Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Z

Zebani S

Reaction score
Thank you. For now I'm wiring up a push start button to the under the hood solenoid cuz I don't have time to hunt this down.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes same here after sitting for almost 5 months my 2000 expy won't crank. Thought it was the battery (more than 6 years old) but still retains charge. Tightened battery cable wire connectors more and it cranked! Now, problem is it won't run. Am testing fuel pump circuit. At least yours is driveable although you need to pop the hood Everytime. Try testing the starter solenoid under the hood. Good luck!

OP
OP
Z

Zebani S

Reaction score
Yes same here after sitting for almost 5 months my 2000 expy won't crank. Thought it was the battery (more than 6 years old) but still retains charge. Tightened battery cable wire connectors more and it cranked! Now, problem is it won't run. Am testing fuel pump circuit. At least yours is driveable although you need to pop the hood Everytime. Try testing the starter solenoid under the hood. Good luck!

Ugh, don't you just love multiple problems layered atop each other? I hope you get it running soon.

The solenoid seems to be totally fine. It clearly was not getting signal. I hooked up the multimeter to the signal wire and put the ignition in run, and all that's coming from it is a steady 3+ volts regardless of whether the ignition is in run or not. And with total reliability if I put 12v to the signal post on the solenoid she fires right up. So the solenoid is good. For some reason the signal wire is putting out voltage even when ignition is not in run, but not 12v. Clear sign of a short, yes?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, it should only have 12 volts on start going to the solenoid. You need to do some wire tracing.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Shift into neutral and try starting. Your problem reminded me of the scene in 'Christine'. Arnie sweet talks it into starting.

OP
OP
Z

Zebani S

Reaction score
Shift into neutral and try starting. Your problem reminded me of the scene in 'Christine'. Arnie sweet talks it into starting.

Read up, that's already been explored friend. Thank you though. It doesn't start like that no matter what gear I'm in or if I rock the shifter. Shifter is definitely sloppy af, so who knows it could still be a faulty NSS but I don't feel like replacing it rn. Also, the signal wire to the solenoid should not have voltage unless the key is in run position (and then it should be 12v), yet it's putting out 3+ volts constantly. So at the very least there would seem to be a short in the ignition wiring.

brhulen

Reaction score
What about the GEM? My 97 has now been sitting for about a year with the same problem. Also mine has a history of failed GEM x 2.