1st gen 5.4 sparkplug questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kustomiser

Reaction score
i think i have this right just want to make sure, this is my first mod motor i have had.the 97 i have is a 2v head which i believe does not have the plug separation issue?? i have read that these engines do not like aftermarket plugs (split fire e3, bosh *4) so i have chosen to go with the autolites please correct me if i am wrong. i am also swapping out my coils i have been told to use silicone to seal the boots when i install them to keep water out.looks like this would make condensation build up in the plugwells. please any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using the autolite double platinums and have had no problems... as for silicone I didn't do it but might work...

best advice soak the COP bolts the day before then make sure you have a couple extensions and universals and take your time.... also ensure plenty of "beverage of your choice" is on hand to help you out

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They mean dielectric grease? That's what I used on my sister's Mustang. They usually sell the little packet right next to the plugs.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Just remember to torque the plugs to spec. Don't just wing it.

It is also a good idea if you can use compressed air to blow any junk out of the plug holes, before you take the plugs out. That will keep any of that junk from getting in the cylinder.

I would also keep one or two of the old coils, because if a plug does blow out, you may be able to screw it back in, but the coil pack will more likely than not, be trashed.

OP
OP
K

kustomiser

Reaction score
if i am right i believe it is 12 ft# correct? also i was asking about silicone on the boot at the top of the valve cover to prevent water from getting into the plug well, i have the grease to put on the plug boots at the plug. and one last thing do i need antiseise compound on the plug threads? thanks for all the help i have had many ford in the past just never a modular motor.

OP
OP
K

kustomiser

Reaction score
well i got them changed today and i must say it was not as bad as i thought it was going to be. i am amazed that i had not lost a plug 2 were so loose that i really did not need the ratchet,3 plugs had been changed at some time.there were motocraft, bosh and champion plugs in my engine. 3 of the cops were missing their lower buttons that sit on the plug and two had no hold down bolts. crazy i know who was working on the x before i got it i wont be going there for any service that is for sure. i did come away with a deep well 5/16 socket i found in the area under the intake. thanks again for all the help