1st Gen Exp xlt 5.4l 157,200 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apollo02exp

Reaction score
Happy 2020 to all my Expy brothers and sisters.

I'm going to apologize now for this being long winded. Just trying to be detailed and accurate.

2002 Expedition 5.4L XLT 2wd
157,200 miles currently.
Oil change performed at 155,095 using 6qts High Mileage Synthetic Castrol 5W20 and a Motorcraft filter.
I perform my own minor maintence.
Plugs and packs were replaced @ around 100k

On December 2nd Alternator goes bad. I replaced it on Dec 4th.
Dec 21st I go to start my truck starter then made an awful screetch as if it were already running. That happened a few different times, I still have yet to replace my starter, it works for now, I'll replace asap if my motor isnt blown. I'm extremely poor at the present time, so poor I'm living out of my truck here in Southern Calif. Anyways...

Jan7th 2020 4:am 40° and raining I go to start my 02 Expy it immediately began to run really rough. With a quarter tank of gas I drove to the gas station put in 5 gallons of Regular (Chevron @ $3.65). Drove it about 1 mile still idled terribly, I parked it.
After hours searching different ford forums I came across these most popular possibilities.
1. IAC Valve.
2. Bad plug & coil pack.
3. Bad fuel filter.
4. Bad gas
5. Bad Map sensor.
6. Throttle body or sensor.
8. Various Gaskets.
9. Various vacume hoses.
10. Fuel pump

First:
I removed the IAC because it was the cheapest and most common cause from what I read. After removing it I realized it didn't have a gasket. Walked to the store bought a gasket. I then thoroughly cleaned the IAC and properly reinstalled it. No positive results.
I then replaced and installed the IAC with a new part. Still no + results.

Second:
I borrowed a cheap OBD 2/EOBD Maxiscan MS309
Scan test got a P303 & P308. Misfires in Cylinders 3&8.
Did a freeze frame and wrote all the data down. I then cleared the codes and did a -negative battery disconnect reset. Restarted the motor and still ran poorly. After a few days of trouble shooting and forum investigating with no positive results.
I still wasn't able to check the plugs or packs nor was I able to purchase them. I just can't afford the $ for Motorcraft packs and plugs right now, and Motorcraft seems like the best bet for longevity & peace of mind. I usually always use OEM parts.

Third:
After 5 days I decided to drive it to my local auto parts store to use a better scan tool and to hopefully speak with someone with real knowledge. The store is a mile and half away and would be driving 15-25mph max. Since I wasn't getting any check engine light or low oil or coolant lights I assumed it was safe. After my useless visit to (O'R$) I began to drive back. 3 blocks later I get this loud metal on metal sound and my baby stalls, immediately pull over and here Iam today dead in my tracks.

Fourth:
I was 3qts low on oil and no coolant in remote tank.
(FYI) I'm OCD and I don't neglect my cars. I check weekly for possible leaks on my oil, oil filter, oil pan, hoses and radiator. Empty!!!how could this be??
My oil pan and oil filter is super clean looking on the outside, no visible signs of a leak.
Fuel and coolant hoses are good.

I added oil and coolant n tried to restart but seemed like I wasn't getting fuel. Did a fuel rail pressure test 40psi. Then I held my foot on the gas pedal cranked it and it started to run terribly. I'm assuming it's finished / blown.
Im out of answers. ☹️

If their any real mechanics who can help diagnose or possibly trouble shoot I'd truly appreciate your knowledge and expertise.

Thank you in advance for any and all help regarding my 02 Expedition 5.4L 2wd.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Have the plugs ever been changed? Your miss is probably bad plugs. From what you describe, the screech is the starter Bendix.

Get a look at those plugs. If they're toast, change them and take it from there. At 150K miles, if - and that's a big if - the truck was maintained, it's still young.

If you've changed the alternator twice, you're buying crappy alternators. If you have no money, you're better off with an OEM one from a junkyard than some Chinese chain-store junk. Remember that the laws of physics and electronics aren't subservient to the laws of economics. You gotta buy good parts or you'll be chasing problems with the new stuff.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
from 1st post

This was a solid lead, #8 is the worse for access.
Scan test got a P303 & P308. Misfires in Cylinders 3&8

I've used 15 - 20 buck code readers to get codes which is a must otherwise mostly end up guessing & wasting time/money.

Doubt the engine quit due to 3 quarts low on oil or an empty coolant reservoir, tho ..how much was that down?

Diagnosing misfires is easier with a running engine, u can just disconnect cop wires to see if there is a change then go from there. Might get lucky with #3 if just a cop issue.

Hard to tell about the engine quitting deal with given info. Something as simple as a vac leak can cause major running issues.

Last edited:

typeed29

Reaction score
Happy 2020 to all my Expy brothers and sisters.

I'm going to apologize now for this being long winded. Just trying to be detailed and accurate.

2002 Expedition 5.4L XLT 2wd
157,200 miles currently.
Oil change performed at 155,095 using 6qts High Mileage Synthetic Castrol 5W20 and a Motorcraft filter.
I perform my own minor maintence.

On December 2nd Alternator goes bad. I replaced it on Dec 4th.
Dec 21st I go to start my truck starter then made an awful screetch as if it were already running. That happened a few different times, I still have yet to replace my starter, it works for now, I'll replace asap if my motor isnt blown. I'm extremely poor at the present time, so poor I'm living out of my truck here in Southern Calif. Anyways...

Jan7th 2020 4:am 40° and raining I go to start my 02 Expy it immediately began to run really rough. With a quarter tank of gas I drove to the gas station put in 5 gallons of Regular (Chevron @ $3.65). Drove it about 1 mile still idled terribly, I parked it.
After hours searching different ford forums I came across these most popular possibilities.
1. IAC Valve.
2. Bad plug & coil pack.
3. Bad fuel filter.
4. Bad gas
5. Bad Map sensor.
6. Throttle body or sensor.
8. Various Gaskets.
9. Various vacume hoses.
10. Fuel pump

First:
I removed the IAC because it was the cheapest and most common cause from what I read. After removing it I realized it didn't have a gasket. Walked to the store bought a gasket. I then thoroughly cleaned the IAC and properly reinstalled it. No positive results.
I then replaced and installed the IAC with a new part. Still no + results.

Second:
I borrowed a cheap OBD 2/EOBD Maxiscan MS309
Scan test got a P303 & P308. Misfires in Cylinders 3&8.
Did a freeze frame and wrote all the data down. I then cleared the codes and did a -negative battery disconnect reset. Restarted the motor and still ran poorly. After a few days of trouble shooting and forum investigating with no positive results.
I still wasn't able to check the plugs or packs nor was I able to purchase them. I just can't afford the $ for Motorcraft packs and plugs right now, and Motorcraft seems like the best bet for longevity & peace of mind. I usually always use OEM parts.

Third:
After 5 days I decided to drive it to my local auto parts store to use a better scan tool and to hopefully speak with someone with real knowledge. The store is a mile and half away and would be driving 15-25mph max. Since I wasn't getting any check engine light or low oil or coolant lights I assumed it was safe. After my useless visit to (O'R$) I began to drive back. 3 blocks later I get this loud metal on metal sound and my baby stalls, immediately pull over and here Iam today dead in my tracks.

Fourth:
I was 3qts low on oil and no coolant in remote tank.
(FYI) I'm OCD and I don't neglect my cars. I check weekly for possible leaks on my oil, oil filter, oil pan, hoses and radiator. Empty!!!how could this be??
My oil pan and oil filter is super clean looking on the outside, no visible signs of a leak.
Fuel and coolant hoses are good.

I added oil and coolant n tried to restart but seemed like I wasn't getting fuel. Did a fuel rail pressure test 40psi. Then I held my foot on the gas pedal cranked it and it started to run terribly. I'm assuming it's finished / blown.
Im out of answers. ☹️

If their any real mechanics who can help diagnose or possibly trouble shoot I'd truly appreciate your knowledge and expertise.

Thank you in advance for any and all help regarding my 02 Expedition 5.4L 2wd.
Had a similar issue with my 2000 ford expedition xlt 5.4 2wd and it was the fuel filter. After that seemed to work fine, its cheap to replace so give a try.