1st Oil Change (surprise - metal drain plug)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BFD350

Reaction score
I think it was part way through the 18 model year when Ford switched to metal plugs instead of the yellow plastic. I have a 18 that I bought at the end of that calendar year and it’s metal. Well...it was. I too opted for the Fumoto. I love those things. It’s now standard issue on my vehicles, I have it on my 16 F-350.

Curious, do you use a guard for the lever? I started with the plastic Fumoto guard but was a little paranoid so I use a spring hose clamp as suggested by Fumoto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil drain valves are a nice thing especially when it eliminates the needs to remove skid plates to change oil. I have used both Fumoto and Stahlbus and prefer the Stahlbus version since it has a nice threaded cap that keeps the dirt out of the hose fitting between oil changes. Fumoto offers a little rubber nipple to cover the hose fitting, but I discovered that after the engine/oil pan heats up, the rubber nipple quickly loosens and falls off.

http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil-drain-valve/

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does this eliminate the need to remove the skid plate? You have to get to the drain plug area to connect the hose, don't you?

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does this eliminate the need to remove the skid plate? You have to get to the drain plug area to connect the hose, don't you?

I removed the stock felt shield and installed the Raptor transmission skid plate on my Expy and it has a small access hole so I can connect the drain hose to the Stahlbus drain valve without removing the entire skid plate. Without the drain valve and hose, oil would certainly end up on top of the skid plate. (pics before I installed drain valve)

upload_2020-6-21_20-52-5.jpeg

img_1019-jpg.28532

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it was part way through the 18 model year when Ford switched to metal plugs instead of the yellow plastic. I have a 18 that I bought at the end of that calendar year and it’s metal. Well...it was. I too opted for the Fumoto. I love those things. It’s now standard issue on my vehicles, I have it on my 16 F-350.

Curious, do you use a guard for the lever? I started with the plastic Fumoto guard but was a little paranoid so I use a spring hose clamp as suggested by Fumoto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using fomoto valves since the mid 90s....best thing I EVER did on my wife Miata (that car is a royal pia when it comes to oil changes)....I have one on our '12 wrangler which as a 1/4" steel skid plate on it...that one uses a nipple and hose.

I really started taking advantage of these valves when I bought our 14 quart F350 in 2004 (and in 2017).
I even have one on our 13L diesel motor coach....that motor has 14 GALLONS in its oil pan.

I used fomoto's before they had a lock/rings and I never used the (new) lock guard on the lever until I installed one on our 2017 F350.
I installed a spring/hose clamp on our motor coach drain valve...but ive NEVER had any of these valves open other than when I meant to open them.

utmeep

Reaction score
I removed the stock felt shield and installed the Raptor transmission skid plate on my Expy and it has a small access hole so I can connect the drain hose to the Stahlbus drain valve without removing the entire skid plate. Without the drain valve and hose, oil would certainly end up on top of the skid plate. (pics before I installed drain valve)

Do you have a part number for the skid plate?

I think it's this one; https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-par...fKUsmEyl0KrygGWKWBAKYvGYNEmrPCmQaAq2zEALw_wcB

Last edited:

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took the felt off on the '16, trans seems to run cooler and easier oil changes.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My Craftsmans zero turn tractor, came with a piece of tube. It attaches to the oil drain, that is a twist to open valve. No drips and oil pours right into the pan. If Briggs and Stratton can do this, why not Ford?

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score