2001 5.4 2 Valve Intake Manifold / Valve Cover Gasket Job and Parts List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Surfnski

Reaction score
All back together and so far I've driven it about 100 miles with various types of driving with no CEL! I think my problem is resolved! So far I haven't noticed any rough idle on cold starts, I'm pretty confident that was intake leak related.

If you're doing this project I would recommend taking pictures of the valve covers with all of the bolts installed so you can later reference where the stud/post bolts go that hold the wire looms in place. Also some fuel injector service may not be a bad idea either while you have it torn down. My injectors were rather crusty looking on the outside from all of the debris that had fallen down around them over the years but I think they were still working fine so I just cleaned them up and installed new O-rings and replaced them.

Here's my updated parts list of what I ended up needing.

Intake manifold gaskets- I went with FelPro
Ford OEM intake manifold which comes with new aluminum coolant crossover installed and throttle body gasket.
Thermostat
Thermostat housing O-ring
Thermostat housing bolts x2 - These were crusty and I ended up breaking one off so I replaced them both.
COP replacement boots
Valve cover gaskets and bolt grommets - FelPro
Spark plugs
Cal Van Spark Plug Thread Repair Kit - I knew I had one plug that had a previous repair that I didn't trust so I installed a new insert while I had it torn down.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A trick I learned from a friend way back was make a cardboard replica of valve cover or whatever part your removing. Punch holes where bolts/studs came off on to cardboard copy. It only takes a couple of minutes, and days later it's a lifesaver. Pictures can be hard to see clearly. It worked for me many times on cars and motorcycles. You might try it next time your removing a part with multple bolts. The other plus is you don't misplace any of the bolts, their snug in the cardboard.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Surfnski

Reaction score
Good idea and that'll certainly work but pics on the phone were easier for me as I tossed all of the bolts in a bucket of solvent to clean the crud off of them while I was working on other things.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Forgot about that possiblity. Most other bolts are clean enough that wouldn't be necessary. Anyway, glad all is well, and finished.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Surfnski

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your posts and suggestions!

Next project- shocks...

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pleased to hear that it was all a success! I suspected that your cold start would improve with the gasket replacement, and your evidence gives me even more hope. Once I have time to do this job I'll post my results to this thread as well. Also, thanks for the heads up on the valve cover bolts and best of luck on your shocks!

OP
OP
S

Surfnski

Reaction score
For anyone interested, I'll be listing the Cal Van spark plug repair kit on the for sale forum for 175.

Thread repair kit has been sold.

Last edited: