2001 5.4 2 Valve Intake Manifold / Valve Cover Gasket Job and Parts List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problem, it's a pretty easy job overall. Just keep track of bolt lengths and location, if different. Their should be more than 1 good teardown videos online. Good luck.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have this truck which has been giving me lean codes on both cylinder banks for months and I finally want to fix it. I looked all over for the obvious leaky vac hose or boot but found nothing. After doing a smoke test on the intake plenum it appeared to be puffing a little smoke from beneath where the intake manifold meets the head so I believe that may be the root of my problem (leaking intake gasket). Is it okay to reuse the plastic manifold and just replace the gaskets? I see a lot of threads on cracked plastic intakes but I don't believe mine is cracked as I didn't see any other leaks so I'd like to reuse it unless it's likely to have other issues that I'm not aware of.

While I have the intake off I want to go ahead and replace both valve cover gaskets as I noticed one was leaking I while I was doing a spark plug change a few months back. Should I expect to have problems disconnecting the lower EGR tube from the exhaust manifold on the driver side? It looks like this needs to come off to get the valve cover off. Truck has relatively low mileage for its age (136K / 2001) so I'm hopeful that penetrating spray and maybe some heat will help me get this off if required.

So in preparation to do this work I want to compile a parts list to make sure I have everything I need once I get started. Here's what I have so far, let me know if there's anything else I should be looking at while I'm in there.

Intake Manifold gaskets
Coolant crossover tube gaskets
Upper plenum to throttle assembly gasket
Thermostat and water neck gasket
Valve cover gaskets and bolt grommets
Spark plugs - Might as well replace them while I have it torn down. I have a Cal Van inset kit on hand should I come across any damaged plug threads.

Looks like we're both in the same boat! Bought this car used at 245k, and there are a handful of repairs needed. I have a lean condition in both banks and intake manifold is in definite need of repair. I was just going to replace the gaskets, but I'm thinking differently now after seeing this thread and what I have going on.

I'm going to do it as soon as I have a weekend and this rain dies down. Did the same smoke test, and found smoke rising up from the intake. I may go ahead and replace the valve cover gaskets while I'm at it.

My upper intake is aluminum, but my lower portion seems to be plastic. Is this what you're completely replacing?

OP
OP
S

Surfnski

Reaction score
Looks like we're both in the same boat! Bought this car used at 245k, and there are a handful of repairs needed. I have a lean condition in both banks and intake manifold is in definite need of repair. I was just going to replace the gaskets, but I'm thinking differently now after seeing this thread and what I have going on.

I'm going to do it as soon as I have a weekend and this rain dies down. Did the same smoke test, and found smoke rising up from the intake. I may go ahead and replace the valve cover gaskets while I'm at it.

My upper intake is aluminum, but my lower portion seems to be plastic. Is this what you're completely replacing?

This is the intake manifold on mine. The throttle body which sits on top of it is alluminum.
Weekend project for sure.

08BFE4B7-74D4-4D10-9BE7-6AFF69CB15E7.png

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it! Thanks for your recommendations. Genuine Ford manifold on order.

I’m definitely not prepared to pull the heads but I will give them a good cleaning while I have everything apart. I don’t have much in this vehicle and mainly just use it to tow my boat so I’m not going to sink a bunch of money into it. It runs pretty good minus the occasional rough idle on cold starts but the damn check engine light and lean codes have got to go.

My vehicle has the exact symptoms as yours on a cold start-up. It's even worse after it hasn't ran for a couple of days. But as soon as it warms up, it's fine. I saw a video the other day where a guy diagnosed an engine with the same issue and it turned out they needed a new intake gasket. So hopefully when we fix our intakes, both the lean condition AND rough idle will be resolved. :happy107:

Edit: Question about replacing the intake gaskets. Would I need to purchase new bolts, or can I keep my current ones as long as they are in good shape? I've heard that any bolts that have a torque sequence need replaced. If so, where can I buy a good set?

Last edited:

crazyjerry

Reaction score
where did you get the can val insert from, i am planning on changing my plugs on 97 expedition.

OP
OP
S

Surfnski

Reaction score
where did you get the can val insert from, i am planning on changing my plugs on 97 expedition.

Ebay- $225 shipped. Used it yesterday and it worked like a charm. If you’re interested I will sell the kit minus one insert for 175 shipped.

OP
OP
S

Surfnski

Reaction score
Update!

Tore everything down last weekend. Got the intake and valve covers off, was pretty painless for the most part, worst part was getting to the last couple rearmost valve cover bolts on the passenger side. I also had a problem with the thermostat housing bolts being seized up. Broke the first one off, second didn’t want to come out but I was able to coax it with some heat. Ended up drilling and re tapping the broken one, got very luck there.

Started reassembly yesterday after work. Spent about 4 hours and got pretty far along, should be able to finish up in a couple hours this evening. Hopefully no leaks once it’s all said and done.

One thing I noticed on the cal van inset tool was that the insert did not thread in as easily as I was expecting. I’m assuming this is normal to create a snug/interference fit so the insert does not back out when removing the spark plug. I have to admit- I was worried about cranking it in and having it cross thread or bind up and get stuck. Ended up going for it and it threaded all the way in and bottomed out before I torqued it down.

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats Surf. Hopefully all will go well and your lean condition will go away. Let us know if that cold start issue goes away too!

I've heard about the trouble with the thermostat housing bolts. I saw one guy knock them with a hammer and that did the trick.

Also, do you mind sharing the part number or link to the crossover gaskets?

OP
OP
S

Surfnski

Reaction score
Congrats Surf. Hopefully all will go well and your lean condition will go away. Let us know if that cold start issue goes away too!

I've heard about the trouble with the thermostat housing bolts. I saw one guy knock them with a hammer and that did the trick.

Also, do you mind sharing the part number or link to the crossover gaskets?

I’m not sure about the crossover gaskets. I went with a new intake which comes as a complete assembly with the crossover already installed.

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m not sure about the crossover gaskets. I went with a new intake which comes as a complete assembly with the crossover already installed.
A while after asking that question I actually thought "oh wait.. he bought a new intake.." Lol. All good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze