03 5.4L (2 valve) head gasket replacement - parts list

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Vicent Vega has the tools if you follow the shop manual. The crankshaft positioning tool uses a pin on the block and the crank key to position the crankshaft for TDC. The camshaft holding tool keeps the valves springs from driving camshaft rotation while you are timing. If all you plan on doing is this 5.4, get the Ford tools. If you plan on doing more engine rebuilds, the innovative TDC tool, timing wheel, and a dial micrometer are more universal and can be used on any engine. The Ford crankshaft tool will only work on the 4.6/5.4, the innovative tool and wheel can be used on many other engines, but requires a little more skill. Power Nation engine rebuilds and various YouTube videos show how to use a timing wheel.

I added the timing wheel setup

Attachments

• Timing Setup-1.jpg
    Timing Setup-1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Timing Setup-1-2.jpg
    Timing Setup-1-2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to show you see what I was referring to on my radiator support, I have included a few pictures.

Attachments

• Radiator Support-1-2.jpg
    Radiator Support-1-2.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Radiator Support-1.jpg
    Radiator Support-1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Oil Cooler-1.jpg
    Oil Cooler-1.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
E

Eric M

Reaction score
Vicent Vega has the tools if you follow the shop manual. The crankshaft positioning tool uses a pin on the block and the crank key to position the crankshaft for TDC. The camshaft holding tool keeps the valves springs from driving camshaft rotation while you are timing. If all you plan on doing is this 5.4, get the Ford tools. If you plan on doing more engine rebuilds, the innovative TDC tool, timing wheel, and a dial micrometer are more universal and can be used on any engine. The Ford crankshaft tool will only work on the 4.6/5.4, the innovative tool and wheel can be used on many other engines, but requires a little more skill. Power Nation engine rebuilds and various YouTube videos show how to use a timing wheel.

I added the timing wheel setup
Thanks very much for explaining this. A neck injury has delayed my already slow progress. I hope to get the heads off in the next couple of days....

OP
OP
E

Eric M

Reaction score
I ordered this Melling timing set (Part Number: 5252-07536389) which included two new camshaft sprockets. These sprockets are clearly designed for a camshaft of much greater diameter than the ones in my vehicle, which is weird because this is definitely the right set for my 2003. Just wondering what the deal is with these sprockets....even though I can't say that I would even bother attempting to remove the current sprockets, which seem like they are on there for good.

OP
OP
E

Eric M

Reaction score
I ordered this Melling timing set (Part Number: 5252-07536389) which included two new camshaft sprockets. These sprockets are clearly designed for a camshaft of much greater diameter than the ones in my vehicle, which is weird because this is definitely the right set for my 2003. Just wondering what the deal is with these sprockets....even though I can't say that I would even bother attempting to remove the current sprockets, which seem like they are on there for good.
Ok, I think I can answer my own question, after looking at some aftermarket camshafts. It appears that on aftermarket camshafts, the part of the camshaft where the sprocket is mounted is much wider than the original camshaft, which is why these sprockets that I bought look the way they do.

Mr_Neutron

Reaction score
I'm going to be the contrarian and say the power steering pump pulley remover is optional. The entire pump is held in place by only three bolts and it easily lays over to the side out of the way. Get a couple of bungee cords to hold the pump and reservoir to the side of the engine bay and bob's your uncle. Also, since the heads are coming off you won't need the camshaft holding tools if you time the motor before installing the rocker arms on reassembly. And if you are reusing the rocker arms inspect them VERY closely for roller and bearing wear.

For the timing part of it you'll find this YouTube video quite edifying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Va5CmtrMjo&t=2198s&ab_channel=FordTechMakuloco

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Eric M

Reaction score
I'm going to be the contrarian and say the power steering pump pulley remover is optional. The entire pump is held in place by only three bolts and it easily lays over to the side out of the way. Get a couple of bungee cords to hold the pump and reservoir to the side of the engine bay and bob's your uncle. Also, since the heads are coming off you won't need the camshaft holding tools if you time the motor before installing the rocker arms on reassembly. And if you are reusing the rocker arms inspect them VERY closely for roller and bearing wear.

For the timing part of it you'll find this YouTube video quite edifying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Va5CmtrMjo&t=2198s&ab_channel=FordTechMakuloco
Funny you should mention this. I went ahead and used the puller. This particular pulley was very, very stubborn. The adapter lug got stuck in the pulley during attempted removal of the pulley and the main removal shaft on the tool got bent. I ended up having to remove the pump and hose, take it to a vice and used a stud extractor to remove the seized adapter lug, lol.