2001 Eddie Bauer 5.4 possible plug issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CAKD07

Reaction score
My '05 has 328K on it and I try to have regular service work done. If you plan on keeping it and making sure it runs right IMHO replace the plugs, coils, and boots all together. I tried the first time around to do it one at a time when an issue came up and it was in/out of the shop all the time. It was like a game of whack a mole. Just bite the bullet and you'll be good for another 100K. Another thing not mentioned is the converters, either two or four of them and I've been told by the best shop here in D/FW (the dealers even send you there) you can only expect about 80-100k out of them. Again, bite the bullet and replace them all.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I had a similar issue. I replaced the coil pack on misfiring cylinder and fixed problem. I would not put off fixing it, if you don't want to replace the catalytic converters. Every misfire, dumps un-burned fuel, into exhaust.

Last edited:

rallison203

Reaction score
Agree strongly you should make sure it's running right. If a coil pack needs replaced, then by all means. I disagree however on changing the plugs and coil packs if it's running properly now. The triton spark plug problem is well known and the proper repair to stripped threads is expensive and the repairs vary among technicians and don't always hold. I have 7 cylinders repaired w/ time serts, and 1 (time sert blowout) with a custom machined (!$!) insert. If it ain't broke...

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sunnydaze,
all very good information given to you. These engines are known to be spark plug spitters and a miss is sometimes an early warning they are about ready to let go. As suggested get on the repair sooner then later as consequences will be very costly. Pull the plugs and check them since you know nothing about the rig. Make sure you torque them back according to manufacturers specs and I believe that torque spec update is 25 foot pounds. Torque is critical on these engines. Rarely do the coils die, its more common the boots die. The coils should be tested before decided to just pitch them.
And a cat failure is not uncommon when you have misfires and drive long distances. The Cat replacement can be very expensive.

good luck

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I doubt the loose spark plug issue, would take 161K mi. to occur, unless replacement plug was over torqued. 2003 and up, are know for plugs, breaking off in head. Ford makes a extraction kit, for it. The OBD code reader should tell, what is going on. Pretty common problem for a coil, to go bad. It will show on scan tool(misfire cyl/#). Swap coil , with an other cyl and re-scan. To check for bad coil.

Last edited:

dimension12

Reaction score
I have a '99 with 318k and found a complete set of coil/boot assemblies on Amazon for cheap. Use anti-seize and torque the plugs to spec. Should be good for another 100k miles.
Remember to blow out the plug wells after breaking the plugs loose.

OP
OP
S

Sunnydaze860

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info guys. I changed the plug and coil on cyclinder 5 and that fixed the issue. Today though the engine light came back on and now I have to replace the pcv valve and had 2 lean codes, bank 1 and 2

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a similar issue with my '00 EB 4.6. It would be better if you had the proper code rather than just a #5 misfire. However, here's some things to be cognizant about: DO replace ALL boots, check condition of plugs BEFORE spending money on them-unless you know it's past time to replace them. Don't replace the coils unless you KNOW they're bad. That's why the proper codes would come in handy. Check your valve cover gaskets very closely. Sometimes the misfire is caused by leaking oil into the plug and boot area. And USE anti-seize on the plug threads before reinstalling them! Good luck!