2001 Eddie Bauer towing package questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabert

Reaction score
Help and advice, please . . .
I just bought a 2001 Expy, in great shape, low mileage, 5.4 V8 - 2WD, with the Eddie Bauer package. Loving it! - the perfect vehicle for me and my assortment of dogs!
How do I find out what, exactly, the factory Bauer edition includes in the towing package? All I can find is the generic statement that it can tow up to 8300 lbs. "if so equipped".
Is the Eddie Bauer, generically, equipped to handle that much weight. Does it have the "rear leveling system" as standard equipment?
I certainly will replace and beef-up the shocks and other suspension parts, since I will be using the vehicle to haul trailers up to 6000 lbs.
But, I don't want to waste my time and money if the vehicle isn't designed to handle that load. The last thing I want to do is destroy the drive-train by trying to haul too much weight!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to ford etis and you can get a read out of what all was on the Expy when built.

If you have the heavy duty tow package that will include the hitch 7 pin connector and trans cooler. Also see if you have the air suspension or standard suspension.

The 2001 4X2 with the 3.73 axel is rated for 8300 lbs I would personally keep the load at 7000/7500 lbs or less. So 6000 lbs should be no problem.

OP
OP
J

jabert

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply and invaluable help!
My vehicle doesn't have the round seven-blade connector, but it does have the flat four pin connector. My same-year Explorer Sport has the same set-up, and I know, for certain, it has the factory "towing package". There's a 4-pin to round 7-blade adaptor available at any parts store, that costs about ten bucks.
The "new" Expy has the same heavy-duty, frame-mounted trailer hitch/receiver assembly as the "old" Sport. So, I'm almost certain I'm good to go with hauling a 6000lb trailer.
I'm still wondering about the suspension. Sorry to be such a dunce, but what is "ford etis"? I'm hoping it is a site where I can enter the car's VIN and find out exactly how it was equipped.

OP
OP
J

jabert

Reaction score
Also . . . I've checked out the door-panel axle-ratio code for this vehicle (H9), and it is 3.55. It's rated for 7800 lbs., so I still should be A-Okay.
Still wondering about the factory shocks, load-leveling, and the rest . . .

OP
OP
J

jabert

Reaction score
Well, I really am a dunce! I checked out the "etis" link and was able to find absolutely everything I need to know about this vehicle, based on its VIN.
Thanks for putting up with me. I promise, the next time I enter the forum, it will be with a question that isn't so stupid!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked.

If you don't have your owners manual you can download a copy at

owner.ford.com

OP
OP
J

jabert

Reaction score
I did download the owner's manual a few weeks ago . . . thanks for that link, someone! It wasn't specific about the features of my vehicle, however - owner's manuals never are.

I've often said what you have about "stupid questions" to my music students, assuring them they shouldn't hesitate to ask. Whole different dynamic when you are the knucklehead!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree that the owners manual isn't specific However there is a section on towing and gives some specs.

And your welcome for the link I posted a few weeks ago LOL