2001 expy cranks but doesn't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CVAZBBCOACH

Reaction score
about a month ago my wife took the expy to work as usual, after work went out to start the expy but all it did was crank over and not start. that night i went up with my tow dolly to bring it home. got in and it started right up. the next day she took it to work and when she got in to go home it turned over but no start. this time it sat there for two days, went up with my tow dolly and had to bring her home on the dolly this time. went and bought her a new vehicle so its been in my yard for the last month, went out and it started right up two days ago. the next morning i tried to start it but it just turned over without starting.
expy has 240k. runs great with no issues up until this point. changed out fuel pump almost two years ago. had to change out coil packs when they go bad, all but two are brand new, probably should have done them all. had to reseal the windshield as it was causing problems with water leaking onto the ecm and causing weird electrical problems throughout the vehicle. those have stopped. their are no error codes showing up on my scanner. btw new to scanner usage. fuel pump is energizing when i turn on the ignition. occasionally she has a blip of life and seems like shes going to start, but it doesn't. battery and terminals are clean. Just cleaned the MAF sensors and replaced air filter. kind of at a loss right now. looking for some trouble shooting guidance. thank you ahead of time for your assistance.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Plenty of no start conditions in past threads and their solutions. Use the search function and enjoy the reading.

Anytime you have a no start condition where the engine turns over but doesn't start, you always check fuel pressure & if spark is present while turning over.

OP
OP
C

CVAZBBCOACH

Reaction score
have been going through threads, yes its good reading and im learning a great deal. i will troubleshooting more next week. i do have another question that i havn't been able to find an answer on. how can i find out if i have a bad key, and could that cause a start/no start situation.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
could try to turn key to start,an with screw driver with in park or neutral wheels blocked.touch 2 of the post on the solenoid that's bolted to fire wall if it starts well then that should tell you at least the starter still works and engine still runs but not sure if it would still work with a bad key i never had a bad key