2003-2005 Expedititon or Navigator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I'm about to sell my 2001 expy and looking to get a second gen, so I decided to make this useless thread. lol

I've been looking at craigslist and there are tons of them between 120k - 150k miles and they are all great deal so I figured I'd get one. But then something in my head said...hey check out the navigators too. And what do you know? There are lots of them around same miles and same price. I think it looks better, it has the 32 valve V8 and it has a nicer interior too. I mean it is an upscale version after all.
And either expy or the navigator is gonna have 4x4

So I think I'm gonna get the navigator.

What do you guys think? Like I said it's just a useless thread to kill time and have fun with. :gr_grin:

roush9799

Reaction score
I was in the same boat. I had a Mountaineer. I went back and forth between the expy and nav. Just so happened I drove past my ford dealer and they had just gotten an '05 in with 121,000 miles on it. I called them up the next day and ended up taking it home that night to try it out. Made a good deal on it the next day. The things I hear about the Navigators, the air suspension doesn't last, you will eventually have to troubleshoot to fix it to keep it up, or convert it to spring ride, which they have kits for. Also hear the engines may be harder to work on if they need anything. Mine is an Eddie Baurer, has heated/cooled seats, sunroof, dvd, and pretty much anything else a fully loaded vehicle would have. I think with the nav, you get better leather, different motor, and different interior trim pieces, plus the air ride.

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
I would have the navigator over the expy any day. More powerful engine, better interior and looks better. We had a 2001 navigator then went for the 2003 expy only because similar aged/milage navigators were about 30% more expensive. I haven't looked recently to see if the price difference is still holding.

Spades

Reaction score
What I don't like about the navigator is that it calls for premium 91 octane fuel. The expedition calls for 87 and I like having the flexibility of filling with higher octane when towing a boat or travel trailer, especially when going through some inclines with a load

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As stated the air suspension can be a problem area. Converting to standard coilovers will make it sit at least an inch higher. I would strongly recommend that you do not buy the Unity brand coilover conversion struts. Cheap in price and build quality.

I know owners of first, second, and third generation Navigators and they all have had issues with the chrome flaking off the rims. Third gen had tons of electrical issues. Some have none of these issues though it seems to be hit or miss.

OP
OP
B

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I don't like about the navigator is that it calls for premium 91 octane fuel. The expedition calls for 87 and I like having the flexibility of filling with higher octane when towing a boat or travel trailer, especially when going through some inclines with a load

I don't mind the 91 octane gas since I already use it for my Audi and my Benz.

As stated the air suspension can be a problem area. Converting to standard coilovers will make it sit at least an inch higher. I would strongly recommend that you do not buy the Unity brand coilover conversion struts. Cheap in price and build quality.

I know owners of first, second, and third generation Navigators and they all have had issues with the chrome flaking off the rims. Third gen had tons of electrical issues. Some have none of these issues though it seems to be hit or miss.

I think at this point (after 12 years) most trucks have had their share of problems and most of them are fixed (hopefully right way)

I did some research about the air suspension components and they are not that expensive any more in fact they are about as same as the regular shocks and coils so if anything goes bad I'd rather keep the air suspension.

for example...one of the youtube videos I watched about changing the suspension sensor was talking about them being so expensive like 400 bucks a piece and when I checked they are 70 bucks a piece now. That video was posted about three years ago.

And when it comes to rims I think I've only seen a few still with stock rims and everything else has after market rims.

I'm sticking with second gen only. From what I see second and third gen have about the same miles/wear and tear on them and a couple of thousand dollars more expensive.

Anywho...thanks for all the replies guys. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have the navigator over the expy any day. More powerful engine, better interior and looks better. We had a 2001 navigator then went for the 2003 expy only because similar aged/milage navigators were about 30% more expensive. I haven't looked recently to see if the price difference is still holding.

Not anymore. Prices are the same.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something that swayed me was a low range gear box. Navigators do have 4 auto and 4x4 like you said, but they don't have 4 low, which is something that is useful when pulling a trailer or boat up a steep grade as well as extra torque when you need it most. Just something to think about.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Actually, in '05 the Navigator received the same engine as the Expedition, 3v 5.4L with the same power. The only difference in the powertrain was the transmission, the Navi had a 6 spd, the Expy had a 4 spd. Other features was power running boards and power liftgate, which was only available on Navi until the 3rd gen in '07.

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
Actually, in '05 the Navigator received the same engine as the Expedition, 3v 5.4L with the same power. The only difference in the powertrain was the transmission, the Navi had a 6 spd, the Expy had a 4 spd. Other features was power running boards and power liftgate, which was only available on Navi until the 3rd gen in '07.
Your right, I hadn't realised that Ford downgraded the motor from the 32 valve DOHC to the 24valve SOHC in 2005. I am no fan of the 3v engine.