2003 4.6 Expy dying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My story: Bought a 03 Expy XLT back in March with 137k miles. When I first bought the truck it did smoke a little in the a.m. with a light engine rattle. Did an oil change added some lucas and problem was fixed. So I thought mid summer the the temp gauge would hit its peak and I would get the check engine temperature message by the speedometer. Did another oil change with some lucas and filled the coolant chamber with Peak 50/50 problem fixed. So I thought. Last week I got the low oil presure light and a disgustingly loud rattle clank clank under the hood. I thought ok I must have a leak omw to the quick lube it shut down on me. I started right back and continued to drive to the quicklube. When I pulled into the garage the faces of the workers when the heard the knocks and clunks coming from my truck priceless. Did the oil change and lucas started up the truck and the same noises! The next morning omw to the mechanic it shut off 3x. Off bat he says I need a motor and to order one off ebay have it deliveted at the shop n Install $800. I drove the truck back home and it shut off 4x and as soon as I got to my driveway it clank clank putt putt shutoff again. Any ideas on what it could be? Can you diagnos a motor by just listening to it? Is a complete engine swap necessary or can something else be done to keep the truck alive? Thanks in advance.
Ps. Just sold my 98 5.4 xlt with 223k last week and regret it every bit

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Starting it and driving it after getting the low oil pressure light - and especially after it shutdown - was unwise. All of the noise is the sound of your engine being damaged. :x