2003 5.4 wont start on first crank....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildfire2492

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My 2003 Expy wont start on the first try. I have to cycle the key 2 or 3 times to get it to fire and its worse when the engine is hot. It starts every time and runs great. Its been doing this for about 10000 miles..

So far I replaced the fuel filter, checked the gas cap, checked for codes still no better. I assume its a fuel pressure problem? Any thoughts? Fuel pump? Pressure regulator?

Thanks!!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check fuel pressure first. Sounds like the pressure is bleeding down. If so the check valve in the pump is leaking. If so requires pump replacement.

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when it running, does it jerking some time and want to stall ? I think its the fuel pump

" carry a big hammer , incase the fuel pump die on you, smack the gas tank couple time with the hammer , some time it make the fuel pump work again just enought for u go get home or pull over to a parking lot "

FordGate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is the fuel pressure hold valve (FPS? I think?) which I think is not part of the pump. I had the same issue and that was the fix.

B

bedrck46

It is the fuel pressure hold valve (FPS? I think?) which I think is not part of the pump. I had the same issue and that was the fix.
JUST CURIOUS Where is this fuel pressure hold valve located at

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JUST CURIOUS Where is this fuel pressure hold valve located at

Some have them built in the fuel pump some have it on a hard pip connected to your pump . pull your tank down make shour your hoses are not cracked. Then look at your pump unit and see if you can findthe valve if not its in your pump. What I did to check was I cleaned the pip that comes of the pump end that goes to engine and I blow throw it and it when tthrough the other end where it sucked through so mine was never holding gas in it just fell out

B

bedrck46

copied from the 2003 service manual

Return Fuel System (RFS): This type of fuel delivery system returns excess fuel to the fuel tank by means of a fuel return line from the fuel rail. Fuel pressure is controlled by a mechanical pressure regulator located on the fuel rail. Vehicles equipped with RFS do not utilize a Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) Sensor.

Mechanical Returnless Fuel System (MRFS): This type of fuel delivery system does not return fuel to the fuel tank by means of a return line. Fuel pressure is controlled by a mechanical pressure regulator located on the Fuel Pump Module in the fuel tank. Vehicles equipped with MRFS do not utilize an Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) Sensor.
Electronic Returnless Fuel System (ERFS): This type of fuel delivery system does not return fuel to the fuel tank by means of a return line. This system does not incorporate a mechanical pressure regulator. Pressure is controlled by continuously varying the fuel pump speed through the Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM). All vehicles equipped with ERFS utilize a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (FRP).

Natural Gas Fuel System (NGV): This type of fuel system does not return fuel to the fuel tanks. Pressure in the fuel tanks acts as the "Fuel Pump", and line pressure is controlled by a mechanical pressure regulator located upstream of the fuel tanks. All NGV vehicles utilize a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (FRP). On NGV applications, the FRP Sensor is also commonly referred to as an Injection Pressure Sensor (IPS).

OP
OP
W

wildfire2492

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The truck runs great no hesitation at all and idles fine. Ill check into the fuel pressure hold valve and see if I can find it.. when I have time to take the tank out..