2003 5.4L 4x4 - low RPM shudder / hesitation / poor MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric M

Reaction score
Recently purchased a used 2003 Exp Eddie Bauer, 4x4, 5.4L with 181k miles.

Recent maintenance:
- plugs and coils
- all EGR related components
- cleaned MAF
- fuel filter
- changed all fluids to spec

Problem:

This began after I changed (drain & fill) the tranny fluid so I am hoping it isn't the dreaded situation of changing the tranny fluid on an old tranny leading to tranny failure (yes, this does happen sometimes). I used Mercon V.

So, when the car is at full operating temperature, it shudders/hesitates in all gears *only* in the 1500 - 2000 rpm range. Beyond that no problem, except that it does shudder a bit when manually activating and deactivating the overdrive switch at highway speeds. Right as this problem occurred, my mpg went from 12-13 in the city to 9-10.

Prior to the fluid change, tranny shifted perfectly.

Anyway, the car starts easily, idles perfectly, and throws no codes when idling and when driven at highway speeds.

I know that asking about this is a shot in the dark as there are a number of things that could cause these symptoms. But I thought I'd see what y'all have to say! Thanks!

OP
OP
E

Eric M

Reaction score
NP, had it twice, once on the Expy once in a Lincoln with the 4.6

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

A follow-up question: where was the crack on your manifold? I have dealt with internal cracks on my Crown Vic's manifold, which caused coolant loss. The Expy leaks no coolant. So, I'm guessing the crack could be on the upper/visible part of the manifold? Thanks.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
Yes, it was actually from the fuel rail mount. Apparently someone tightened tge rail too much and cracked it. JB Weld held it for over 75,000 miles until it failed again over cylinder 1 - requiring replacement

OP
OP
E

Eric M

Reaction score
Yes, it was actually from the fuel rail mount. Apparently someone tightened tge rail too much and cracked it. JB Weld held it for over 75,000 miles until it failed again over cylinder 1 - requiring replacement

Perfect. Thanks again.

Expedition007

Reaction score
A plug or coil could still be bad. Your description sounds like an ignition miss. I would be getting a scan tool on it that can measure misfires while driving it. Find out what cylinders are misfiring and then swap coils from a misfiring cylinder to one that was not. See if you can move the misfire to a new cylinder. If that doesn’t move the problem, then move onto plugs. I replaced my plugs with Motorcraft plugs, but within a few weeks I had misfires again. There had been a batch of marginal plugs with many dead on arrival.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
A plug or coil could still be bad. Your description sounds like an ignition miss. I would be getting a scan tool on it that can measure misfires while driving it. Find out what cylinders are misfiring and then swap coils from a misfiring cylinder to one that was not. See if you can move the misfire to a new cylinder. If that doesn’t move the problem, then move onto plugs. I replaced my plugs with Motorcraft plugs, but within a few weeks I had misfires again. There had been a batch of marginal plugs with many dead on arrival.
Agreed, especially under load. But since it didn't sound like there were codes and given that you have to push the vacuum lines out of the way to check/fill tranny - seemed more likley to me he either knocked off, loose or cracked it when playing
With the tranny. That's how Charlie Sheen got in trouble...

OP
OP
E

Eric M

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have scanned it multiple times while driving and have not had a single misfire code or any other code. If a plug was bad, wouldn't a code definitely be thrown? I am almost to the point of bringing it in to have a professional-grade scanner hooked up to it, before disassembling and examining the intake manifold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire