Shuddering hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sduncan000

Reaction score
Perhaps this has been discussed previously, but just to be sure I am going to describe what I am experiencing...
When driving at, say 30mph or higher, and just trying to maintain speed, I will hit a slight incline in the road and so naturally you feather the throttle a bit to keep your speed. Just at the point where the truck would downshift, I will get this fast shudder that almost feels like hitting the rumble strip at the side of the road. It doesnt feel like its a transmission problem to me, more like a fuel supply (but I am certainly open to any thoughts).
So far, I have run the Purple fuel additive through one tank and I have cleaned the throttle-body and the MAF sensor.
I was considering checking out the plugs next. I didn't want to mess with the fuel pump/filter if I could get this resolved without doing that.
If I can get it on video, I will see about posting that as well.
Forgot to add the vehicle in question!
2015 Expedition EL AWD Limited 3.7 liter engine approx. 130k miles.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?
Thank you!

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
The way you describe the issue, light on the pedal on a slight incline around 30-40mph is a classic symptom of the torque converter going in and out of lockup.

Push your tow / haul mode button or knob and drive the same spot where the problem originally occurred if it goes away and you can't replicate it with tow / haul mode on than it is your torque converter.

Take tow / haul mode off and make the problem happen again just to verify that this is the issue

Let us know what you find out

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The shuddering on slight acceleration could also be the IWE's losing enough vacuum to engage (poorly). You have AWD, so this might apply to you. Secondly, the shuddering could be a misfire, but those usually come with a flashing (or steady) check engine light.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps this has been discussed previously, but just to be sure I am going to describe what I am experiencing...
When driving at, say 30mph or higher, and just trying to maintain speed, I will hit a slight incline in the road and so naturally you feather the throttle a bit to keep your speed. Just at the point where the truck would downshift, I will get this fast shudder that almost feels like hitting the rumble strip at the side of the road. It doesnt feel like its a transmission problem to me, more like a fuel supply (but I am certainly open to any thoughts).
So far, I have run the Purple fuel additive through one tank and I have cleaned the throttle-body and the MAF sensor.
I was considering checking out the plugs next. I didn't want to mess with the fuel pump/filter if I could get this resolved without doing that.
If I can get it on video, I will see about posting that as well.
Forgot to add the vehicle in question!
2015 Expedition EL AWD Limited 3.7 liter engine approx. 130k miles.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?
Thank you!
3.5, No 2015's came with a 3.7. I digress.

Plugs would be my bet like was was said above, guessing they have never been changed. 100K is the factory interval for them to be changed, but honestly should be changed FAR more often than that.

MiloNelsonJr

Reaction score
I had the same shudder on my 08 with the 5.4 and it was the torque converter. I added shudder control and it almost completely eliminated it. I'm sure it is a matter of time before the tranny will require a rebuild, however, I performed a complete service being careful to not use high detergent fluids. I also added Lubegard's Fluid Protectant to extend the life of the tranny...fingers crossed.

ADR510

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Expy 5.4, same issue. Turned out to be bad plugs. Ohm'd the coils and they were reading fine. Luckily none of the plugs broke as i was pulling em out but they were definitely fouled. Replaced em all and shudder went bye bye. Start easy before digging into the trans.