2003 5.4L - Transmission cooler + other upgrades for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
A 3500# trailer won't hurt a standard Expedition. A 4.6L standard model (not HD towing equipped) is rated at 5000#. The 5.4L is rated at more. You will need to add a brake controller and 7 pin trailer connector, but that's not hard to do. Will require running a couple power wires from the battery, one for controller, one for trailer connector.

My 06 with the HD package is rated to tow 8200# (4x4 -- 8400# RWD models). Now that isn't the weight of the trailer, but the trailer AND any load in the trailer and vehicle. My wife and I combined are 370-380, 45 for the dog. So that takes 415-425 off right away. 100# or so of luggage, down to 7600-7700. Another 300-400# of stuff in camper, so I'm maxed out 7200# for the trailer... and I have a 7200# trailer! It tows it ok. Just went to the mountains in NC (from mid SC) for the first time. Up the Saluda grade on I-40 it dropped down to about 45 mph up the hill, but stayed in 3rd gear. Coming out of Franklin NC it dropped down to 35 mph pulling up a very long 6% grade (a couple miles!). That was the longest and steepest hill. On shorter grades it only dropped to about 50 mph. If I were routinely traveling in the mountains I'd want more truck or less camper, but once a year at most I'm fine. I may upgrade the trans cooler though.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This might help you find the connectors on the harness. The brake controller is C2142 near where the ODBII connector is mounted. The 7-pin Trailer connector comes out of the harness next to the 4-pin and is C4099 .

Attachments

• Brake Connectors.pdf
    131.7 KB · Views: 7

Grizguy

Reaction score
If you only pulling 3500 pounds.. I don't think you will have any issue with any expy. Well.. maybe.. I had a 2005 expy with 250,000 plus miles. I bought it used in Florida with 150,000 miles.. I think pretty hard life. I drove it home to N W PA 80.. 85 MPH then with 225K + miles drove it to florida and back maybe a little faster than I should have More than 85... 90.. maybe a little faster.. Don't want to make people think I drive too fast.. After that trip, it did not like pulling a trailer any more. I was not pulling a trailer that fast..