2003 EB stalling, 2wd, 5.4 - nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OMG.

I am having a nightmare.

My truck was stalling so I took it to a local shop. I'm in a new area and not familiar with any mechanics. One shop put a new battery in it and it still stalled. He said "just restart your truck". Seriously? It did need a new battery which I should have installed.

So I towed it to a shop I had used for 4+ years and I trusted them. They looked at. Pretty much, they literally were just looking at it. No repairs for days.

So I towed it to another shop. They put a used fuse box (passenger footwell) and it still had the battery light on. They said it was fine. Multi meter shows good charge at the battery posts - but, it's not right.

It's not. I put my scanner on it and it was throwing a code, the shop was not aware of this.

It was running/driving, so I said heck with it take it to the dealer. I made it without it stalling.

They said besides a window switch it needs an alternator harness, but no harnesses are available anywhere in the nation. They ordered an aftermarket which didn't fit. They are working on it still.

I've been without a truck for a month at least. It's my only truck.

Caveat Emptor.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you read about the problem.

It's been at the dealer for almost 2 weeks. They claim it should be ready tomorrow. I could have sourced materials from an electrical warehouse: lugs, wire, reused the connections - only thing I was unsure of was the fuseable link which kept me from making the harness myself. Also I don't have a crimper but could have bought one.

This repair should not be this difficult.

Lyft is making some money off of me.

Plati

Reaction score
I was thinking fusible link. Have seen them degrade and go.

Electrical Gremlins have been the bane of elderly vehicles since the dawn of modern autos.

What was the code?

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking fusible link. Have seen them degrade and go.

Electrical Gremlins have been the bane of elderly vehicles since the dawn of modern autos.

What was the code?

IIRC, code = P0610.

I can't tell you how frustrating it has been.

I recall during this process seeing in a video a link totally corroded.

The darndest thing, and it's has to be coincidence. I was cleaning the terminals of corrosion - you know baking soda and water treatment. Flushed it out. Two days later I get a buzzing sound from the passenger fuse box at the gas station when trying to start. I inspect the battery. Removing the corrosion loosened the positive terminal. Terminal was shot, so I gave it a bump with my socket wrench handle and everything was working fine. I planned on a Sunday to replace the positive terminal - when the truck decided to break down on a Saturday.

What's funnier still. I had the terminal in my truck. I also had my backpack full of tools. So replaced the terminal in Jack in box parking lot, one of the cables is crimped, so had to hack saw off the bad terminal/drill hole to mount with other cables to the + post. The finished product looked really good at least for an on-the-road fix. Still no go.

Let's please hope the truck is out of the dealer today, a $1000+ later. I also had to replace the master window switch. That part was in my Amazon cart to buy. Service guy put the window down and it would not go back up.

I guess the lesson learned is do everything I can to not defer maintenance. I didn't think the switch was a big deal but it cost me some bucks at the dealer.

Question for the experts: what does the fusable link do?

Plati

Reaction score
Geez I'm not an expert but ... The fusible link is a big fuse isn't it? Keeps full battery power from discharging and starting a fire if that end is shorted to frame.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Geez I'm not an expert but ... The fusible link is a big fuse isn't it? Keeps full battery power from discharging and starting a fire if that end is shorted to frame.

You are correct. Or frying your electric components. Just did a little research.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So update///

I just got the truck back from the dealer.

They had to reconstruct part of the alternator harness. They could not find any in the nation at any dealer. Crazy. They tried some aftermarket ones which didn't work.

It took a minute and cost a few bucks, but it looks like they did a good job. I looking to relocate to north TX and don't need any breakdowns on the way.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The biggest electrical issue the 2003/04 Expeditions have is the fuel pump relay connection in the passenger side box. If it we're me, I'd replace the whole positive cable, not just the terminal end. On a lot of these Expys, corrosion gets inside the cable. Replacement cables are available aftermarket, so no problem there. I also use those felt washers under my positive and negative cables. My battery stays clean as new on top.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk