2003 EB steering wheel shake's at 60 & up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnybecool

Reaction score
I had the rearend rebuilt due to a whine (ring & pinion bearing)and chatter (clutch plates). Yes, the ring and pinion was also replaced. The noise is gone, Thank God!

Now, the steering wheel shakes at 60 miles and up. I have 20" Goodyear ES tires. They were rebalanced, rotated and the front end was checked and aligned. No one can find what the problem is. Does anyone have the similar problem or any ideas.
Thank you for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
try putting 5-10lbs more air pressure in the front tires You may not have the right load range tire on the truck and it may be running on the sides of the tires. I had the same issue and I now run 40lbs of pressure in my front tires even though it calls for 35 max......
Matt

DeepRiver

Reaction score
GPS9700

I had the dickens of a time with the steering wheel shakes on my new Expo and the only thing that cured it was to have the tires evaluated/balanced/rotated with a “Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Measurement” machine. Ran me $69.95 but it was worth every penny and if you’re not familiar with this machine just visit any search engine and input the terms in quotes above.

If you decide to try this cure, Hunter has a handy search feature for shops that have a GSP9700 in your area. BTW, you don’t even want to know the cost of one on those beasts but suffice to say that not a whole lot of shops can afford one. BTW, I'd suggest selecting a shop that uses this machine on a regular basis and don’t be too concerned about saving what amounts to chump change.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i agree with deep rivers it sounds like a balancing problem have the tires balanced on a roa force machine and you should be back in bussiness

johnnystar

Reaction score
Just because a tire is balanced it doesnt mean it doesnt have a dead spot on it, a bad wall, or seperation. When being balanced they arent under the same pressure as they are when on your vehicle. A buddy of mine owns a tireshop & he said it happens.
I had that problem on my bronco, and i replaced the tire, and it went away. Its not a cheap troubleshoot but 99% of the time its the right one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker