2003 Eddie Bauer radio did it come with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer with an after market double din radio. Looks like it came originally with backseat entertainment as well (drop down video screen in head liner). I'd like to know what was originally in this so I can tell via Crutchfield's site what is compatible with this vehicle. I know there are caveats about the speakers if it shipped with the nav system for after market radios. Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me. I'm new to these models of Fords.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most likely came with the stereo / 6-CD unit. It is/was a POS and most people replaced them with NAV units when the CD player broke. The factory navigation option was very, very rare and usually only showed up on special order vehicles where someone spec'd one out and ordered it. Navigation was a more common option on the Lincoln Navigators. Today the aftermarket NAV unit choices are much more appealing and I believe far superior to anything you could've gotten from the factory units of the period. Nobody uses CD's anymore and most aftermarket units come with Apple or Android phone compatibility, WiFi, and dozens of apps and traffic reporting to entertain you. I think the Micro SD card music storage has replaced the CD options. The space the CD slot took up is now replaced with a bigger viewing screen. Crutchfield will get you setup for a great installation, and most options are plug-n-play. You can just tuck the GPS antenna puck up onto the crossbeam behind the head unit and it will see all the satellites just fine. Oh, and yes, there is an add on harness that connects the rear DVD player to the head unit ( Crutchfield can send it to you...). You lose rear seat control function though, but who cares. Your overhead DVD player is not made any more. Mine failed and I had to get a later version and make a harness to go from the '03s 12 pin plug, to the later version's 20 pin plug, and went to IR headphones as well.

But to answer your question, this is the head unit the Expy came with from the factory (junk)....

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going off of memory here, but didn't navigation-equipped '03 Expeditions have a CD stacker in the center console armrest? If I remember correctly, the navigation unit was CD-ROM based and would also stack and play music discs, but the center console 6-disc changer was for audio CDs only.

The presence or lack of CD changer in the console might help OP determine what was originally installed. Otherwise agree with Hamfisted, at $2K it wasn't a very common option.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Hamfisted, post: 3949
But to answer your question, this is the head unit the Expy came with from the factory (junk)....

[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. Upon looking at what is in it now, looks like it's really a single din with a screen that retracts. It's not bad, but whoever put it in did a crappy job. Will probably replace it with something that does Android Auto. But this info eases my fears, probably won't have to replace the speakers too, at least not yet.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless they're blown out or torn the stock speakers are ok. I did replace mine with Pioneer stuff just for grins. I also replaced the rear 8" sub with a Kicker 8", which made a bigger improvement in overall sound.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't comment on nav in '03 EB, but do have standard radio in mine, non navigation

I was contemplating changing the radio, then thought a bit and decided to try new 5 1/4" from Crutchfield. They are good, but was not impressed.

Gent on the phone gave some options and am very pleased with the Kicker CS series 6x8" (about $64 + tax) fits in factory mount - no modification). Of course returned smaller speakers.

Very pleased with the new 6x8". Much more bass and clearer treble. Sure I didn't spend a bunch but it fit my budget. Down the road I'll add same speaker to rear doors, then new deck and sub. Crutchfield warned me to get a newer amp with a new deck/sub so that's on-hold for a bit.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rich I used the stock amp with the 8" Kicker sub and it works great, sounds crisp. But I have a Pioneer head unit, not the stock one, so I'm not sure you can change enough settings to make it sound good with the stock head unit.

cbOB2T.jpg

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changing just the radio to something that actually has control over each channel will make a night and day difference even on stock speakers. I threw my radio in before doing everything else just because I didn't have time and wanted android auto for a quick road trip. I was quite surprised the difference it made, properly configured if course. You'd swear I'd replaced it all.

If you do an android auto radio take a look at the Maestro SW steering wheel interface. It'll allow for custom button mapping as well as dual functionality w the press and hold option. Essential when you only have a few keys on these 2nd gens. You can of course do it all by voice/touch screen but if you have music up, windows down voice control response is usually pretty terrible. Having a hard key to bring up voice command is quite useful. Same for phone answer/end.

RichardH - The Kicker CS series is s good all around speaker, slight upgrade from stock and a good bit more responsive unless you had the audiophile option, then its about a wash. 5 1/4 in these just don't get the job done. A 6 1/2 isnt bad but I'd want a quality component set if moving away from the stock size. For sound quality sake I can see giving up the cone area but otherwise, no. 6.5 offer considerably more speaker options however.

Hamfisted - what kicker 8 did you go with? I'm trying to decide what to do about the factory sub. Its adequate but that's about it.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put a Kenwood from Crutchfield that was marked down to $480 from $750 in mine back in 2017 & sounds great! Original had been 'picked' long before I became 2nd owner. Will have to look to see what model it is. Was on special for about 3 days at the time.
Original speaker systems sounds really clear. Has double din full screen & fits like a glove with very little border.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rich I used the stock amp with the 8" Kicker sub and it works great, sounds crisp. But I have a Pioneer head unit, not the stock one, so I'm not sure you can change enough settings to make it sound good with the stock head unit.

cbOB2T.jpg

Thanks Ham! I sincerely doubt he was trying to up sell me, but 'best practice'.

Good to know I can get a new deck and sub and it'll work. Most definitely the deck needs updating when I can.

Good looking deck BTW.

Aspen, I most certainly didn't spent a bunch of $$$ but the difference is very noticeable. Likely the next set will be higher quality 6x8 for the front and move the new ones to rear seats.

Great info here...

Cheers-
Rich