2003 Expedition A/C issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I just bought my '03 Expedition last Tuesday and went to visit my parents about 250 miles away. I noticed after an hour or so on the road that the A/C would stop blowing as hard as it did before. For example I turn the A/C to setting two, it would blow hard and cold, and then all of a sudden the temperature would go up and it wouldn't blow as hard on any setting 1-4. Also I would notice a musty smell coming out when this happened. I would turn it off for a while and it would start working as hard as it did before. I looked one time after we had stopped and notice that a lot of water was coming from the A/C. I'm taking it in on Friday and want to be as specific as I can on what to look for. Can they freeze up? Thanks in advance for your help!!

OP
OP
G

I've have had the same exact problem...and I have had mine since May 02....I notice ONLY after a couple of hours (driving on hot TX roads)....the volume of air cuts in half and it is slightly warmer. I have to turn it off for about a minute and turn it back on..then it works fine. Since I only wait a minute (sometimes less) I don't think it's a freeze up...it would take longer to thaw out. Let me know what the dealer says...I am planning to take mine in 2 weeks from now...when kids are back in school.

thanks

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does the exact same thing as well on the Hiway. I thought it was a freeze up cause you could smell the ice...and it was putting out extra cold air but at a low flow. We shut the compressor off for a minute and that solves the problem temporarily as well. Ours smells musty at other times. I think this is from residual water from freeze ups. I will have to add this to the list for when I finally take it in again.

daveplot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going in about this Monday...will let you know what the dealer says. It's probably the evaporator freezing up.

OP
OP
G

I brought it in and they told me, "it is under investigation by Ford". Whatever that does for us??? :nopity:

OP
OP
G

There is a fix for this problem. THere is a Ford SSM that tells the dealer to replace the A/C control module. I had mine replaced and the problem was corrected.

Ed

Kistler

Reaction score
Having the same problem here......ours has 4100 miles on it. At about 2000 miles our children/grand children discovered the rear air only worked on high....the dealer found a loose white wire.

Now that that is fixed, I guess the dealer can work on the problem you guys are talking about. :)