2003 expedition brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pittmike

Reaction score
Hi,

Just did rear brakes on my 03 Expedition. Seems to have gone pretty normally by the book once I got the bolts free. Replaced the rotors and pads. I started this job as I had the tell tale awful grinding noise from the rear and I did both rear wheels.

I am a little puzzled why I am still hearing some noise from both sides of the rear brakes. This is no longer awful grinding but now more like the pads rubbing on rotors some and it is not very loud.

Could I have missed something or have you seen some wearing in of the new pads needing to happen? They seemed a little thick and really had to compress to get them on. Silver Advance Wearever pads I guess if that is important.

I don't think I made a mistake and if I did I would be surprised its both wheels.

Thanks for a rapid opinion as I would need to take them apart asap today if necessary while the whether is great.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When are you hearing the sound? Is when the brakes are applied or is it all the time? Did you happen to lean on a dust shield when doing the brakes? I've done that a couple times and ended up with a rubbing sound.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

pittmike

Reaction score
I don't really think any dust shield etc. The sound sounds like pads rubbing kind of. When the car is moving I hear it not really when hitting the brakes that caught my ear. Speed up and it gets less. Almost like I got pads too think but I double checked the box etc and part number I bought. .787 thickness.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you pressed the pads back in, did the piston move smoothly? Did you remove the brake reservoir cap when doing so? Could be the piston needs to be greased, or there is now too much fluid in the reservoir with too much pressure if you didn't remove the excess after pressing the pistons in. The pads do "float" right off the surface of the rotor, so any additional pressure will cause the rubbing sound. If the pads were too thick, after a couple of days of constant rubbing, you would get warped rotors. Plus the pads would wear down fairly quickly and the noise should go away.

OP
OP
P

pittmike

Reaction score
I didn't open the reservoir but I will have a look at that now. I guess I didn't bother as it wasn't overly full. The pistons seemed to move ok and it is affecting both sides. Thanks.