2003 passenger side valve cover removal (5.4L 2v 2WD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Warner

Reaction score
I'm doing a timing chain job and I can't get the passenger side valve cover off. It's being hung up at the firewall by a large wire harnes and it won't move enough to clear the cover. Any tips on getting past this problem?

Best I can come up with is removing the motor mounts and/or transmission mounts to lower the engine an inch or so. Seems novel though. I was hoping there are better ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Reaction score
I'm doing a timing chain job and I can't get the passenger side valve cover off. It's being hung up at the firewall by a large wire harnes and it won't move enough to clear the cover. Any tips on getting past this problem?

Best I can come up with is removing the motor mounts and/or transmission mounts to lower the engine an inch or so. Seems novel though. I was hoping there are better ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
I had to move wiring aside.. undo the COPs.. etc... removed all 14 bolts..(not all the same bolt sizes) move the trans dipstick over... but it is doable..

Attachments

• 20220903_140147.jpg
    20220903_140147.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220903_140159.jpg
    20220903_140159.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
G

Gary Warner

Reaction score
Thank you Ken. I did manage to get it off the way you describe. Getting the power steering pump out of the way was something else too. I'm glad it's all in the past. 1500 miles on the chain-job and it's all good.

Attachments

• So much fun.jpg
    So much fun.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gary Warner

Reaction score
Oddly I didn't take pictures of that side of the engine. I did though take pictures of the other side because of what I found when I removed the camshaft. See the pictures of a drill-chip I found in an oil passage.

Attachments

• Camshaft Removed.jpg
    Camshaft Removed.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Camshaft lube block close.jpg
    Camshaft lube block close.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Camshaft drill chip.jpg
    Camshaft drill chip.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Forum statistics