2003 Stereo Intermittent Power Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capone

Reaction score
Ok, I had posted about this last month and got some help. Somebody turned me onto a splice joint that commonly gets eroded on these things. I replaced the splice joint which unfortunately wasn't my problem. It seems I have an intermittent power problem in the wiring for my stereo. It only sees to affect the Accessory power as when the power goes off and comes back on, I don't lose my presets for anything. Furthermore, I installed a new stereo thinking it might have been the old factory Ford Stereo, but that wasn't the case either.

It seems as if maybe I have a broken wire somewhere on the accessory wire. I will begin trying to trace the problem but I was hoping that maybe somebody was aware of a place in the wiring that is prone to breakage (Like the doors in the Jeep Grand Cherokees). Any guidance would be appreciated before I start diving blindly into this problem.

Thanks,

OP
OP
C

Capone

Reaction score
Well, it has been quite a while but I wanted to post an update to this. My expedition sits more often than not as it is primarily used for family trips any more as my wife, daughter and I all have our own commuter cars. But I have recently dove back into this issue and have traced it down to what seems to be a bad connection at the instrument cluster. I had read on forums for other ford trucks of the same era that the instrument clusters are known for having solder points fail, so I took mine out a couple of times and looked it over. Doesn't seem to be the problem here, but everytime I put it back together it works for a while and the problem comes back after a few days and gets worse over time. Looks as if one of the connections is coming loose. Will update further.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger