2003 XLT head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anybody know how to get the 6 disk cd changers out of the 2003 XLTs? It doesn't seem to have the holes for the din tool.

G

Smooo,

There are 2 screws above the guages holding the trim piece to the dash. Remove them with 9/32 socket then slowly pull the trim cover away the dash being careful not to crack the latching clips. You can then disconnect the wire harnesses from the headlight switch and center area controls to make access easier. The radio can be removed without disconnecting the switches, but it's more work to pull/hold the dash trim toward you while removing the radio than it's worth. There are 2 screws to remove at the bottom of the radio bracket and you're done. Do the reverse to reinstall.

TL

G

Make sure you check your type of factory harness before doing an install if your intent is on upgrading your HUnit.

I neglected to add in my last post that there is a new harness in use with the later build 03 Expeditions from around April,03 on. They are now using a 24 pin harness in the back of the radio which had formerly been a 16 pin harness. I guess they're getting ready for the 04's. This is beside the separate harness for the rear radio controls which becomes useless once U change out the factory HUnit.

Anyway good luck finding one right now. I went to 3 Bestbuy's and 3 CircuitCity stores and all tried pushing the 16 pin Metra harnesses in my direction until I showed them a picture of my harness connector........."Ooops, that is NEW!" was their response each time.

Apparently, locally, no recent build 03 owners have chosen to change out their 6 changers yet with MP3'ers since my truck was the first oddball they'd seen with a different hookup.

I'm currently waiting for Crutchfield to send me a replacement harness that we hope is the right one. It's for 2003+ Ford's and it's 24 pins. Hopefully it's the right part since it's new.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks... I needed to get it out because I'm hooking up a system and I needed to add a Hi Level RCA adapter to my 6 disk changer. It was a lot easier and definintely a lot cheaper then buying an after market head unit. Plus I didn't see any reason to get rid of the 6 disk in dash cd changer. Now my problem is that I don't really know where to put my amp, it's huge and won't fit under any of the seats, and my RCA's barely reach to the back so my options are limited.

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was toying with the idea of adding a system as well, but had a couple of questions. Can you replace the single disc player in the XLT with the 6 disc in dash changer? I have seen some on ebay that are reasonable. I guess my question is it plug and play or is it different connectors? As for the amps, I think that they fit under 3rd row seats folded or up, but haven't tried it yet.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think Ford might have made them the same so they didn't have to make different wiring harnesses for the different cd players. I'm sure you could find out pretty fast if you called the service department at the dealership. When the 3rd row seat is folded down... there is ZERO space underneath it... it pretty much rest on the floor. You might be able to fit it under the second row if you have a smaller amp though.

G

BikeRider,

One thing you have to check beforehand is to see whether your 03 Expy has a 16 or 24 pin wiring harness. Ford made the change in mid stream and failed to tell anybody. I found that out when I ordered an MP3 HU for the truck from Crutchfield recently. They sent a 16 pin harness with the radio which turned out to be the wrong part. I didn't find this out until I had already wired the harness to the replacement radio, THEN pulled the factory radio out. The dealer will not know the particulars as to which harness you have. You must pull the radio out yourself to find out. This takes about 5-10 minutes total and is very easy.

The CD-6 receivers look the same, but do have different harness connections according to the truck/car they're originally installed into. I made this mistake some time ago when I bought one on Ebay that came from a Mustang but was said to fit in my Explorer with no problem. It did fit, but sounded like it was inside a muffled tunnel. Turns out it was meant for a truck or car with mach sound and a "separate" amplifier.

If it turns out you have the 24 pin harness in your truck, let me know and I'll post the Ford part number for the CD-6 which goes in the XLT.

As for an AMP under the 3rd seat, smo0othride is right. There's no space under the seats at all when folded down.

TL