Head Unit Upgrade Phobia

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyTheKid70

Reaction score
I'm attempting to upgrade my 2013 Ford Expedition EL Limited w audiophile nav sync 1 etc... This is what I ordered so far as not looking to go hi end on upgrade.

1... Belva BMV734 7" Double DIN Touchscreen Mechless Car Stereo Receiver

2... PAC RP4-FD11 RadioPRO4 Interface for Ford Vehicles with CAN bus

3... Metra 99-5815

*** I know I'll need other stuff... Is there anyone out here willing to coach an old goat on this install?

*** Question on the PAC Bus. What number is used on unit if non named brand etc...I've jogged through install videos with some enlightment not much. Any Guidand out here would be awesome. In the 70's it was 6 wires ago....

Thanks in Advance

Bill

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll be watching this. Also looking at replacing the factory radio in my 2013 limited. Cant stand the jenky user interface. And with you, I miss the old simple stuff where going crazy meant adding a couple amps and a equalizer. Maybe that's the answer. All I'd need is switched and constant 12v.......

JimR_TN

Reaction score
I'm attempting to upgrade my 2013 Ford Expedition EL Limited w audiophile nav sync 1 etc... This is what I ordered so far as not looking to go hi end on upgrade.

1... Belva BMV734 7" Double DIN Touchscreen Mechless Car Stereo Receiver

2... PAC RP4-FD11 RadioPRO4 Interface for Ford Vehicles with CAN bus

3... Metra 99-5815

*** I know I'll need other stuff... Is there anyone out here willing to coach an old goat on this install?

*** Question on the PAC Bus. What number is used on unit if non named brand etc...I've jogged through install videos with some enlightment not much. Any Guidand out here would be awesome. In the 70's it was 6 wires ago....

Thanks in Advance

Bill
I upgraded my 2007 last year with a 7" Android head unit and I really like it. My install was a bit simpler as I didn't have sync or factory steering wheel controls so it was pretty straight forward. I didn't even use a canbus connector.

What I can share is to make sure you picked a good Android head unit with a fast enough processor and enough memory. I didn't see specs for that Belva unit so I can't comment on it specifically. You really want an octa core processor and at least 3 GB ram to be able to smoothly run the programs you want.

The great and bad thing about an Android head unit is you get to pick the programs you want so you can customize everything. It can be a bit time consuming, and I have to reboot occasionally to clear up issue but I think it was a great upgrade to my older Expy.

Atoto_Agama.jpg

muskytom

Reaction score
I just completed my 2013 upgrade a couple months ago:and My gear:
- Pioneer AVH-X4800BS (Double DIN Bluetooth In-Dash DVD/CD/AM/FM Car Stereo (circa 2018 from my 2002 Exp install)
- JL Aidiot vx400/4i 75W x4 @ 4ohm (I splurged here)
- JL Audio C3 6.5” component speakers (front)
- JL Audio C1C3 6.5” speakers (rear)
- JL Audio 12W6-AE sub [box]
- JL Audio RD500/1
- Metro integration box + steering wheel controls
- Upgraded factory mic for head unit compatibility
- Reused factory camera; sliced RCA for head unit compatibility
- All new signal, speaker and power runs
- Sound deadening doors, lift gate and others areas

Not for bragging rights, but went through the ringer on this one over the course of a year and a driveway job. Lots to share here plus lessons learned! Advice: lditch the Sync and don’t gut the factory amp behind the old head unit - I’m told there’s other “stuff” that passes through that connector. Let the Metro (great pre/post sales support) integration box take car of that. Also, a lot of great support here from folks on integrating into factory wiring and pin outs on connectors. Yep, it’s more than 6 wires now and happy to field questions - just be patient with me.

callwill

Reaction score
I upgraded my 2007 last year with a 7" Android head unit and I really like it. My install was a bit simpler as I didn't have sync or factory steering wheel controls so it was pretty straight forward. I didn't even use a canbus connector.

What I can share is to make sure you picked a good Android head unit with a fast enough processor and enough memory. I didn't see specs for that Belva unit so I can't comment on it specifically. You really want an octa core processor and at least 3 GB ram to be able to smoothly run the programs you want."
Can you spec out what you used? I have a similar 2011 exped EL with the basic radio/cd(display quit too), no sync no steering wheel controls. If i could find a similar one with a CD player in it even better...

JimR_TN

Reaction score
Can you spec out what you used? I have a similar 2011 exped EL with the basic radio/cd(display quit too), no sync no steering wheel controls. If i could find a similar one with a CD player in it even better...
Sure. Mine doesn't have a CD player, but I believe they make them with CD Players. I had at first installed a basic Boss head unit with CD player. It had no customization and was very glitchy, so within a few weeks I switched to the Atoto. I don't really miss the CD player, I'm usually using the radio but if I want my playlist I stream Bluetooth from my phone.

ATOTO S8 Standard 7 inch Double-DIN Car Stereo Android in-Dash Navigation, Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto, USB Tethering, 2 Bluetooth, HD Rearview with LRV, IPS Display, SCVC, 3G+32G, S8G2A74SD

Seemed to have good recommendations and enough processor and ram which is key. I've been pleased with it, but again being an Android it took a while to get things configured. For example I didn't like the built in radio app so I bought one on the Play Store for a couple of bucks. Took quite a while to setup but it displays station logos, has a Ford background and digital GPS. And of course being Android I have Forscan to monitor my engine and can watch YouTube or stream TV if I'm stuck waiting for someone in my Expy.. which happens too often.

Metra 95-5812 Double DIN Installation Kit Fits SELECT 2004-2019 Ford Vehicles -Black.

Metra Electronics 70-5520 Wiring Harness for Select 2003-Up Ford Vehicles, MULTI COLOR

Metra 40-CR10 Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ford/GM 2002-Up Car Antenna Adapter Cable

The install was pretty straight forward. The wiring harness went color for color except there is no switched 12 volt so I had to find a switched 12 volt under the dash. The factory head unit uses CANBUS to turn on. I believe Metra makes a more expensive adapter that integrates with CANBUS but with my plain Jane XLT I wouldn't have really gained anything.

Options I added

ICESPRING 2 Ports Dual USB 3.0 Male to USB 3.0 Female AUX Flush Mount Car Mount Extension Cable for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard Panel -(3 Feet)

Provides 2 front USB ports connected to the Atoto head unit making things look cleaner.

JOYING Latest Universal Steering Wheel Control Watch Band Style with Backlight Buttons for Android Car Stereo DVD Player GPS Navigation System

Added steering wheel control, works well.

ZEROXCLUB Backup Camera Kit Rear View License Plate Camera, 1080P HD IPS Display for Car Trucks Pickup SUVs Vans RVs, Reversing Camera Night Vision IP69 Waterproof Wide View - B7

QTTECH Backup Camera RCA Video Cable, Car Reverse Rear View Camera Video Cable with Detection Wire, AV Extension Cable with RCA Video Female to Female Coupler and Power Cable (19.69FT / 6M)

The backup camera was the most work of the whole install, but it is nice to have. I just picked that one because it was on sale on Amazon and had good reviews.

callwill

Reaction score
I have several filled to brim MP3 CDs i have made for my cars. There is enough music on then to listen to for a drive across the country without hearing the same tune twice. Plus i have a large selection of Cds. My only real reason to upgrade is android auto and screen mirroring so i can use Waze on the big screen along with listening to my CDs

OP
OP
B

BillyTheKid70

Reaction score
Sure. Mine doesn't have a CD player, but I believe they make them with CD Players. I had at first installed a basic Boss head unit with CD player. It had no customization and was very glitchy, so within a few weeks I switched to the Atoto. I don't really miss the CD player, I'm usually using the radio but if I want my playlist I stream Bluetooth from my phone.

ATOTO S8 Standard 7 inch Double-DIN Car Stereo Android in-Dash Navigation, Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto, USB Tethering, 2 Bluetooth, HD Rearview with LRV, IPS Display, SCVC, 3G+32G, S8G2A74SD

Seemed to have good recommendations and enough processor and ram which is key. I've been pleased with it, but again being an Android it took a while to get things configured. For example I didn't like the built in radio app so I bought one on the Play Store for a couple of bucks. Took quite a while to setup but it displays station logos, has a Ford background and digital GPS. And of course being Android I have Forscan to monitor my engine and can watch YouTube or stream TV if I'm stuck waiting for someone in my Expy.. which happens too often.

Metra 95-5812 Double DIN Installation Kit Fits SELECT 2004-2019 Ford Vehicles -Black.

Metra Electronics 70-5520 Wiring Harness for Select 2003-Up Ford Vehicles, MULTI COLOR

Metra 40-CR10 Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ford/GM 2002-Up Car Antenna Adapter Cable

The install was pretty straight forward. The wiring harness went color for color except there is no switched 12 volt so I had to find a switched 12 volt under the dash. The factory head unit uses CANBUS to turn on. I believe Metra makes a more expensive adapter that integrates with CANBUS but with my plain Jane XLT I wouldn't have really gained anything.

Options I added

ICESPRING 2 Ports Dual USB 3.0 Male to USB 3.0 Female AUX Flush Mount Car Mount Extension Cable for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard Panel -(3 Feet)

Provides 2 front USB ports connected to the Atoto head unit making things look cleaner.

JOYING Latest Universal Steering Wheel Control Watch Band Style with Backlight Buttons for Android Car Stereo DVD Player GPS Navigation System

Added steering wheel control, works well.

ZEROXCLUB Backup Camera Kit Rear View License Plate Camera, 1080P HD IPS Display for Car Trucks Pickup SUVs Vans RVs, Reversing Camera Night Vision IP69 Waterproof Wide View - B7

QTTECH Backup Camera RCA Video Cable, Car Reverse Rear View Camera Video Cable with Detection Wire, AV Extension Cable with RCA Video Female to Female Coupler and Power Cable (19.69FT / 6M)

The backup camera was the most work of the whole install, but it is nice to have. I just picked that one because it was on sale on Amazon and had good reviews.
On that Atoto S8 Standard, Did it work seemless for SWC. I tried a 100 dollar installation with a BMV734 by Belva. It actually worked well with my install challenge. Except glitches with no sync with oem SWC and very limited features and adjustments etc. So I returned it for my money back. Now company is discontinuing brand after my hands on review. Lol Go figure... Like to retain SWC on our 2013 Ford Expedition EL model. Is it best it has that 3.5 jack for SWC hook up. I know there's hardwire hacks etc. I did my original rca for oem rear cam retainability. That's as far as I go with hardwire modifications. Any feedback would be great here.

JimR_TN

Reaction score
My XLT didn't have steering wheel controls. I could have picked up the Atoto steering wheel controls, but I didn't like the color so I went with a JOYING Universal Steering Wheel Control from Amazon. It works reasonable well for basic functions.