2004 eb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 2004 EB 5.4 a few weeks ago and recently the traction light is blinking constantly and CHECK ADVTRAC appears on the screen. Is there anything i can do for this the ABS has a code of C1998 when i use my scan tool.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
C1998 Module Calibration Not Complete ABS Module Go To Pinpoint Test P .

PINPOINT TEST P: DTC C1998 MODULE CALIBRATION NOT COMPLETE
NOTE: Stability assist lamp will flash when calibration is required. IVD calibration is required after certain DTCs are cleared.

NOTE: Ensure the vehicle is on level ground, not on a hoist, before carrying out the ABS module calibration.

Test Step Result / Action to Take
P1 CHECK FOR DTCS
Connect the diagnostic tool.
Key in ON position.
Retrieve DTCs.
Is any other DTC retrieved with C1998?
Yes
GO to the appropriate pinpoint test for the DTC.

NOTE: Some of the pinpoint tests recommend IVD calibration prior to any further diagnostics, in this case GO to P2 .

No
GO to P2 .
P2 ABS CALIBRATION
Start the engine.
NOTE: Be sure to rotate the steering wheel lock-to-lock during the calibration of the ABS system.
Carry out the ABS module calibration per the diagnostic tool instructions.
Did the calibration complete for all of the stability assist sensors; and did the stability assist lamp stop flashing and go off?
Yes
GO to P3 .

No
GO to P4 .

Some concerns will cause the calibration not to complete. If sent here from another pinpoint test, return to that pinpoint test for further diagnostics.
P3 CLEAR DTC C1998
NOTE: You must clear DTC C1998 after the completion of the calibration.
Key in ON position.
Clear the DTC.
Did the DTC clear?
Yes
TEST DRIVE the vehicle. REPEAT the self-test.

NOTE: If sent here from another pinpoint test, return to that pinpoint test for further diagnostics.

No
GO to P4 .
P4 MONITOR THE STEERING WHEEL ROTATION SENSOR PIDS
NOTE: You must clear DTC C1998 after the completion of the IVD calibration.
Key in ON position.
Monitor the ABS module steering position sensor PIDS while rotating the steering wheel clockwise and counterclockwise.
Are the two steering position sensor PID values switching as the wheel rotates?
Yes
Go To Pinpoint Test H .

No
Go To Pinpoint Test G .

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, i wasn't able to do that. I now have another problem with it. If I start driving down the road, about 1/4 mile down it says ADVTRAC OFF then CHECK ADVTRAC. and will stay that way until i restart the vehicle. However, if i drive in reverse for a short distance, it will say ADVTRAC ON?? Is it possibly a wheel speed sensor?

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be, but unless you have access to a Ford VCM diagnostic scanner, this sounds like a problem that you will have to fix at the dealer. Alternatively you could get a chinese Ford VCM for about 200 bucks, but you could end up messing things up if you don't know what you're doing, since it's able to write to the PCM. Standard OBD scanners are generally safe to use by anyone since they're only able to read.

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I have access to an autoenginuity scanner which shows the wheel speed of each sensor and things like that. My dealer wants 95 bucks just to see what the issue is...

DFendersExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm dealing with the same issue... I used a snapon solus ultra scanner and pulled up the C1998 code.... Of course dealer here wants 110 to do their scan even after i tell them what code i got

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update, so i'm still having issues. over the past few of cold mornings i have had it act like i am sliding and it starts hitting the brakes by itself and slowing me down. after a few seconds of this i get ADVTRAC OFF CHECK ADVTRAC. When i pull codes i get C1277 and C1278. i know that is for the steering angle sensor, but does anybody have any ideas?

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I fixed this by replacing the part attached to the steering column. Not the sensor itself, but the plastic wheel. It was only a 17 dollar part. If anybody needs assistance with this feel free to contact me.

josh1095

Reaction score
Thanks for that info, i wasn't able to do that. I now have another problem with it. If I start driving down the road, about 1/4 mile down it says ADVTRAC OFF then CHECK ADVTRAC. and will stay that way until i restart the vehicle. However, if i drive in reverse for a short distance, it will say ADVTRAC ON?? Is it possibly a wheel speed sensor?

Same thing here...... but i only have c1998. How did you recalibrate after replacing the wheel disc?

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replied to your other post. Had a friend with a snapon verus and was able to calibrate the truck using that.