2005 expedition no start... very stumped!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robinp

Reaction score
Good morning, let me first start with my amateur car lingo so please bear with me on this. My Expedition (209k) has had absolutely no issue no check engine light. The other day I got out and my seat buckle was caught in the door and my battery drained fairly low. I got in to start it 2 Days Later and it fired and then I heard a pop almost like a misfire or backfire so I stopped turning the key. I then restarted it and it just cranks. The crank was sort of week so I put on the battery charger to charge my battery thinking that was the issue. And that did not resolve the issue. Then we thought maybe the starter. We replaced the starter in case that was the issue. And the starter was on its way out when tested after it was out. Now it still will not fire. So any ideas before the valve covers come off to check if it was the timing chain or other timing related issues. For further information I am not the mechanic my husband is and he's not a car mechanic but a large diesel mechanic so he's fairly capable but doesn't really know how to work on these with this kind of issue. We do have a 2004 F 150 that had the mysterious gas issue that we change the sensor by the spare tire and this is not the same issue. You can hear the fuel pump Prime for 2 seconds then shut off. And the car alarm red flashing light does not seem to be the issue either. Any help would be great.

OP
OP
R

Robinp

Reaction score
Update, battery (2nd battery that we had tried incase that is the issue) is now about dead when I turn the key to start security light stays red.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what your describing Robin, it very well could be a timing chain that slipped, or chain tensioner that broke, causing one or both camshafts to jump time. The two things I would do is remove plastic boot that connects to throttle body. Open up butterfly with throttle shaft, and spray with starter fluid. It will start for about 2 seconds, then die, if you have a fuel delivery problem. 2 nd step would be to pull one of the front coil on plugs, get a loose spark plug, or a spark plug tester, lay on valve cover, crank motor. Check to see if it sparks. If you pass both tests, your problem is most likely internal. Keep us posted what you 2 find. Our members can walk you through other tests if necessary. Welcome to our little slice of heaven! Moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you certain that you heard the fuel pump run. A good way to see if the fuel pump was running is to test for fuel pressure at the fuel rail another way would be to disconnect the inlet hose to the fuel filter.

Make sure your battery is fully charged

OP
OP
R

Robinp

Reaction score
Yes heard fuel pump but will test fuel pressure tonight also will check for spark, also charged battery "a" that was in it wouldon't work to start it. Then swapped to battery "b" out of my husbands truck. Same thing and now that battery is dead in the car. Was wondering if some parasitic electronic issue going on?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Possible Battery shouldn't die that fast

I wasn't trying to doubt that you heard the fuel ump run But I tend to questions things that I can't see for myself
There have been more times than I can count that people post things only to later what they think they heard or did wasn't the facts Especially when it come to hearing the fuel pump running. I just had that happen recently here on the forum Member stated he could hear the pump run but he had no fuel pressure Long story short He finally replaced the pump Later found out he wasn't hearing the pump but was something else.

Check in the electrical section of the forum There is a link to preforming a parasitic test

Before you start taking things apart check for fuel pressure or spray some starting fluid into the throttle body Don't spray much But if it tries to fire I would suspect either the fuel pump or the fuel pump drivers module and being you are in the winter salt belt area the FPDM is a common problem

OP
OP
R

Robinp

Reaction score
Yes we have delta with that on the f150! Thank you for the help, we will be doing a lot of diagnostics I'm guessing before tearing it down for timing chain.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just like a carpenter measure twice, cut once. You always Exaust every possible fault, before tearing inside. Let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Robinp

Reaction score
Well you will shake your head to this... so after hours of checking this double checking that he decided to start tearing it down :(. Gets under it and trying to see where to start and there it is.... a little wire unpluged. Appon further inspection he noticed somthing wrapped up in my a/c pully...a rag! I'm assuming after checking the oil said mechanic left it and it fell down wrapped it up and poped the wire off of the crank sensor I think it was. So now we need a new ac pulley but she runs! Thank you all for the help! And hope I don't need it again!