2005 Expedition trans issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kalisto2k1

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a 2005 expedition 5.4l automatic with a 4R75W
The truck goes into reverse no problem no slip, but forward it slips really hard have to rev up and then it will engage, It only engages after od light starts flashing, then code P0720 OSS open circuit comes up, replaced OSS sensor, and ran a new wire for the oss signal to ecu the blue wire with yellow stripe, truck does same thing, fluid level is good, fluid color is pink. Does it need a new trans or should I be looking at something else wrong?

Thanks

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
might want to cruise thru the f150 site too and try the question there, I had some trans issues and it got explained with pics. to me it sounds like you might have a problem with the valve body problem. I am not an expert though

crazy4steel

Reaction score
Same problem

Man, i have the same exact problem. It wont go foward unless i rev the rpms up to at least over 2,000, then it will bump into gear. Also when it did that, the message center would beep and say Check electronic throttle control and the OD off light would flash. It also gave the P0720 code for the OSS. So i went down and bought a new sensor from ford, but was too chicken shit to open the package until i tested the old OSS. I tested it as best as i could, and it seemed to work fine. So i took the new sensor back and got my money back. So i was glad to see u said u replaced the sensor AND wiring and that didnt fix the problem. I was also hoping the slipping problem was associated with the electronic throttle control, as some of the other forums ive read online that said they had this same exact problem as me, found that replacing the throttle body assembly fixed the slipping. But ford sells them for like $360 or so. So i got a used one from LKQ for only $107. It fixed the extremely rough idle, and it sounds a lot better and smoother but of coarse it didnt fix the shifting problem. Also i cant get the Check electronic throttle control message to appear anymore, so it seems my $107 was well spent. But i still today still need to fix the shifting problem, but to scared to face the inevitable and take it to a trans shop. Have u had it fixed yet? If so what was the problem? Is it something i can fix myself?

kriscross

Reaction score
Hope this helps

I had the same issue, the vehicle would drive in reverse but would not engage in forward until i gave it some gas and it had no power to go into passing gear on the highway.
I pulled the transmission apart and found the drum was starting to pull apart.
which caused the overdrive band and overdrive clutch plates to be burnt.
Im not an expert, still under training but see if the transmission fluid smells burnt or is a dark color. See if you can erase the code, if it does not come back. You might have a mechanical issue.
If possible have a autozone or other auto store do a KOER test which might pull a P0748 code which will mean your pcm solenoid might be malfunctioning or the harness it connects to is not functioning.

Scomo14

Reaction score
Reverse but no forward drive.

05 Expedition 5.4l 4x4. Tranny would slip only when temps were really cold. Out of nowhere I start truck up in morning back out and put into drive and nothing. I gave gas got rpms up to 2500 and it slowly started to move then the engine fail safe code came on the OD light started flashing and of course I turned off and turned back on to clear the fail safe. Got it into driveway and that is where it sits. I assumed the tranny was trash till I started reading posts. No clue what it could be , what is the least expensive way to approach this. I dont want to jump the gun and drop $1800 to have a shop replace tranny if there is something else going on that can be fixed without replacement. Currently this is what it is doing. Starts fine. Put in reverse it engages and truck will go. If I put into drive I can here the idle drop like normal when you put into drive but give it gas and nothing at all happens till rpm gets up to 3000 rpm. It makes like a rumble sound . OD light flashes and fail safe mode kicks on. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated before I drop almost 2 grand on something that I may not need to. Im disabled and this is my only form of transportation and funds are not easy to come by .

rca510

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had the same issue with my 05. took it to the shop that a family member works at. at first he found nothing. this last time the O/D light was blinking and he found a electrical connector was having oil go into it shorting it out and cause the torque converter to burn up. i was doing about 23 or 2400 rpms at 70. he put a new torque converter and fixed the connected inside the trans. havent had a issue after that.

DnV05Expe

Reaction score
class action lawsuit

Came across this class action lawsuit against the Ford Motor Company, it was filed in the United states district court for the eastern district of Pennsylvania; case no. 12-7222, Jason Schmidt vs. Ford Motor Company.

I'm giving this information because it's public record that Ford knows about this issue in connection with scan code P2106, (and 23 other associated codes).

So far I have had a complete throttle body assembly replaced and a remanufactured transmission from LKQ installed. The throttle body assembly was $508 at one dealership that didn't even diagnose the problem, called me to pick my 05 expedition up without test driving it. I took it to a second dealership after the check throttle body cntrl warning came back on. Three weeks later and over $5000.00 in tow fees, rental car, diagnostic tests, repair cost plus parts and my truck is giving out the check throttle cntrl warning again. This time the transmission which I was told needed replacing has a 3 year warrant, but I don't qualify for a loaner car.

Maybe a heavier class action suit is in order, because scan code P2106 is a fault scan code and a false code at that. The problem is linked to the throttle body assembly, the PCM, the output and input sensors, the fuel pedal scs, complete transmission and wire harnesses, but P2106 is hard for Ford Technicians to locate. So far, Ford Motor company is letting the dealerships fight this battle, while not informing their Ford Service centers at dealerships of the issue.

By the way, due to technical issues, the class action suit was tossed out in 2013.

DnV05Expe

Reaction score
i had the same issue with my 05. took it to the shop that a family member works at. at first he found nothing. this last time the O/D light was blinking and he found a electrical connector was having oil go into it shorting it out and cause the torque converter to burn up. i was doing about 23 or 2400 rpms at 70. he put a new torque converter and fixed the connected inside the trans. havent had a issue after that.

Came across this class action lawsuit against the Ford Motor Company, it was filed in the United states district court for the eastern district of Pennsylvania; case no. 12-7222, Jason Schmidt vs. Ford Motor Company.

I'm giving this information because it's public record that Ford knows about this issue in connection with scan code P2106, (and 23 other associated codes).*

So far I have had a complete throttle body assembly replaced and a remanufactured transmission from LKQ installed. The throttle body assembly was $508 at one dealership that didn't even diagnose the problem, called me to pick my 05 expedition up without test driving it. I took it to a second dealership after the check throttle body cntrl warning came back on. Three weeks later and over $5000.00 in tow fees, rental car, diagnostic tests, repair cost plus parts and my truck is giving out the check throttle cntrl warning again. This time the transmission which I was told needed replacing has a 3 year warrant, but I don't qualify for a loaner car.*

Maybe a heavier class action suit is in order, because scan code P2106 is a fault scan code and a false code at that. The problem is linked to the throttle body assembly, the PCM, the output and input sensors, the fuel pedal scs, complete transmission and wire harnesses, but P2106 is hard for Ford Technicians to locate. So far, Ford Motor company is letting the dealerships fight this battle, while not informing their Ford Service centers at dealerships of the issue.

By the way, due to technical issues, the class action suit was tossed out in 2013.