CDF Failure - Dealer is Rebuilding Trans 2019 Expedition 41k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took our 2019 Max Platinum in at about 38k miles for harsh shifting (primarily 3rd and 5th), huge pause when engaging 5th in the AM, in July. Have ESP warranty. Dealer used the TSB that was out at the time and re-flashed the trans. It was better for a day or two, then back to the same old harsh shifting. Actually seemed like downshifting when coming to a stop was worse.

Took it back in last night at 41k and asked if we could skip the valve body replacement and just rebuild the trans, as I don't have time to keep running this back and forth to the dealer, which is an hour from home.

Dealer called this AM and said they're rebuilding the trans under TSB 23-2250, CDF drum failure. I've got a loaner from the dealer, so we're good. I'll keep everyone posted on this, I'd rather have a new factory trans, but am glad that they were at least able to skip the valve body and get it done. Here's hoping that a) parts are available and b) they do a good job on it.

Between the 10R80 CDF drum issues and the cam phasers, warranty costs have to be absolutely out of sight at Ford........ absolutely love the vehicle, hope that it's good to go after this.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not even sure a "new" one would be better these days. Hopefully the heavy tech working on it has more pride in his/her work than the suppliers. I'm just above that mileage, I sure hope I don't go through this myself, none of the local dealers (within 35 miles) have a supply of loaners or like the last time, they tried to put me in a ford ecosport, try putting 4 kids and 2 adults in that...

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not even sure a "new" one would be better these days. Hopefully the heavy tech working on it has more pride in his/her work than the suppliers. I'm just above that mileage, I sure hope I don't go through this myself, none of the local dealers (within 35 miles) have a supply of loaners or like the last time, they tried to put me in a ford ecosport, try putting 4 kids and 2 adults in that...
My dealer didn't have a loaner either, even though I had requested one when I scheduled the appt online. I walked out to the used car sales manager who sold me the Expedition, and he grabbed a 2018 Fusion SE for me to drive. Its clean and gets me to work. My wife is now driving my 3/4 ton Ram Diesel, which she's not thrilled about, but we can make it work for now. They have 1 super good trans tech, I'll ask my Service Advisor to please have him do this job once we have an ETA on the parts.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All parts came in overnight except 1 bolt, dealer should have the trans torn down early next week, as soon as tech finishes the one he’s currently rebuilding. Crossing my fingers!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2023 F-150 has had occasional clunky shifts from 3-4-5 since day one, has good days and bad days. The downshift clunks when coming to a stop are nasty at times in the AM. Other than that it’s smooth…..lol.

Last edited:

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
19 HD tow 3.73 non max stealth

My shifts are smooth except the up shifts into 5th. It feels delayed compared to other gears but not all the time. Been like that for a year since I bought it used and hasnt got any worse. I also feel it going up into 3rd too sometimes. This appears to be a common problem with these trannys with the shifts into 3 and/or 5 gears. keep us updated on before and after

2020MAX

Reaction score
My 2020 MAX would down shift into neutral when flooring it to pass. It has been at the dealer for over a month. Lifetime extended warranty. New transmission on its way. They have me in a loaner.
Bought this expedition used with 50k on it.
Had to rebuild the rear end a week after I bought it.
Hopefully this is them end of drivetrain issues.

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
That's great to hear your parts came in so quickly! I'm at about 48k on my 2019 and it's slowly getting worse. On a wait list with my dealer since the transmission tech is so backed up, but I'm fearful the UAW strikes are only going to drag this out even longer with parts now. Keep us posted on how it performs after the repair!

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expedition is on the hoist, trans is out and half done, dealer isn’t sure if it’ll be ready by end of Friday or Monday, I told them I’d rather then take their time and do the job right, flush everything clean etc than to rush it. Should have it back early next week, will advise what all was replaced and how it drives!

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
19 HD tow 3.73 non max stealth

My shifts are smooth except the up shifts into 5th. It feels delayed compared to other gears but not all the time. Been like that for a year since I bought it used and hasnt got any worse. I also feel it going up into 3rd too sometimes. This appears to be a common problem with these trannys with the shifts into 3 and/or 5 gears. keep us updated on before and after
Just got mine back from the same issue, rebuilt per TSB 23-2250 Already feels like the 5th gear shift issue is going to come back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire