CDF Failure - Dealer is Rebuilding Trans 2019 Expedition 41k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s pretty sad it took this long for a TSB to be issued for this. Ford should have performed a recall for these CDF drums. Many including myself have had a loss of power and left stranded due to this.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it back today. Work order is 3 pages long. "VERIFIED harsh shifting, no DTSCs present TSB 23-2250, reprogrammed Solenoid shift strategy, no change, overhauled Valve body (not sure if they did this but am glad I didn't have to make another service trip for it), shifting worse. Removed trans, mounted to bench, tore down. Found axial movement of CDF bushing, also F clutch had scored CDF cylinder, replaced CDF hub and all seals, operating normally at this time. They didn't even charge me the $100 deductible for my ESP warranty, possibly because this was related to my earlier service appointment this summer.........and when I called to make sure it was ready for pickup, they offered instead to come deliver the car instead. They put gas in it and delivered it to me at no charge and swapped it for the 2018 Fusion that I drove for 13 days. WOOT WOOT! Best of all, it drives and shifts smooth as silk. Crossing my fingers it stays this way!

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it back today. Work order is 3 pages long. "VERIFIED harsh shifting, no DTSCs present TSB 23-2250, reprogrammed Solenoid shift strategy, no change, overhauled Valve body (not sure if they did this but am glad I didn't have to make another service trip for it), shifting worse. Removed trans, mounted to bench, tore down. Found axial movement of CDF bushing, also F clutch had scored CDF cylinder, replaced CDF hub and all seals, operating normally at this time. They didn't even charge me the $100 deductible for my ESP warranty, possibly because this was related to my earlier service appointment this summer.........and when I called to make sure it was ready for pickup, they offered instead to come deliver the car instead. They put gas in it and delivered it to me at no charge and swapped it for the 2018 Fusion that I drove for 13 days. WOOT WOOT! Best of all, it drives and shifts smooth as silk. Crossing my fingers it stays this way!
Nice! Hopefully it stays that way.

19FX4Max

Reaction score
Had the same work done on our 2019 last year. It seems to have been good. The day after picking it up though a check engine light came on then we were without it for 2 months waiting on a catalytic converter. I'm not sure if they damage it when working on the transmission or not but was weird timing.

hawgboss

Reaction score
Just got mine back from the same issue, rebuilt per TSB 23-2250 Already feels like the 5th gear shift issue is going to come back.
Got mine back 3 weeks ago, and while much better, still having the 5th and 6th gear shifting issues. Also, mine now has major issues shifting into drive/park/reverse. It feels like it's searching for the gear, then roughly slams. Also, since getting it back I've had a couple instances where it stalled when shifting out of 5th gear (unsafe). Took it back, they said they found code DTC P07E6. Apparently that now calls for TSB 23-2120. So that's what they're currently doing. I asked them at what point do you simply replace with a new factory transmission. It certainly would have been cheaper than going through all this. They have not responded.

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
My 2020 MAX would down shift into neutral when flooring it to pass. It has been at the dealer for over a month. Lifetime extended warranty. New transmission on its way. They have me in a loaner.
Bought this expedition used with 50k on it.
Had to rebuild the rear end a week after I bought it.
Hopefully this is them end of drivetrain issues.

Same with our 2019 MAX bought new. Now has 40kmi, 3 rear ends, 1 transmission. When the tranny was done, a member said you’ll need the cam phasers done as well. Sure enough, the cam phasers blew up shortly after. All covered under warranty but still a hassle taking it in to dealer etc.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trans is still shifting great after about 1000 miles. Once in awhile has a momentary hesitation on the 3–5 shift, only once and only when cold. Could definitely be related to VCT solenoids/cam phasers. Only have 42k on the clock and another 60k of warranty, so gonna keep an eye on it for now. Overall love the car.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: 5000 miles on the rebuilt trans now, and it’s still shifting great. I’ve had a couple (literally 2 or 3) slightly delayed or slightly harsh 5th gear shifts but nothing like before, not concerning. Seems to be fixed. Love the vehicle.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani