2005 Expy Multiple Misfires & P2198

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShowMeChiefs

Reaction score
Hi All,
I got my 2005 Expy 5.4 back from mechanics shop in July and it was running great. I had the intake manifold, injectors, & spark plugs replaced. I have only put a few hundred miles on it & last week CEL came on, but went back off. Within 40 miles of driving it this week, it now has P2198, P0300, P0301, P304 & P308.
I looked & listened for vacuum leaks to no avail... cleaned MAF, replaced fuel pressure regulator w/ a used one I had on hand...checked wiring to O2 sensor...I definitely smell gas.
I’m no mechanic & my mechanic is gone until next week... any ideas/advice, Plz & Thx!!

OP
OP
ShowMeChiefs

ShowMeChiefs

Reaction score
Thanks for reply!
It has 220k... had phasers,vct’s & timing chain done at 180k... my mechanic text me & said if I wanted to try something to unhook both upstream O2 sensors & run it for a lil bit & see if it that helps... that sound feasible?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for reply!
It has 220k... had phasers,vct’s & timing chain done at 180k... my mechanic text me & said if I wanted to try something to unhook both upstream O2 sensors & run it for a lil bit & see if it that helps... that sound feasible?

No. The P2198 code is the forward oxygen sensors sensing a rich fuel mixture, which is the gas you smell. If your mechanic had a smoke test machine that would help. The smoke would show you any vacuum leaks, even if you can't hear them. But for whatever reason the computer is dumping a ton of fuel into the motor. Your best bet is probably to wait and let your mechanic examine it when he gets back in town.

Smoke Test Machine on Amazon

OP
OP
ShowMeChiefs

ShowMeChiefs

Reaction score
Gotcha... I’m babysitting my 16 month old Grandson,atm, so I wasn’t gonna be able to try it until tomorrow. He does have a smoke machine That’s how he found the intake manifold leak... guess I’ll wait & let him look at it next week... sold my back up vehicle & didn’t want to be w/o wheels this weekend, lol
Thanks for your help!!