2005 transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jphill5688

Jphill5688

Reaction score
Yes. I’m bracing for expense of it all. Especially since I just paid $850 for a corroded fuel control module replacement. Two bolts and electrical plug in!!

rcnap

Reaction score
I had a very similar problem with my ‘06 2 years ago. Ended up being a small check ball in a valve that required dropping the tranny. Expensive repair for a very small piece. Possibly that. Also the only place that was able to figure this issue out was a ford dealership...

Here's a link to a video showing how you can replace those check balls yourself.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think he's talking about a check valve ball bearing in the valve body. And actually it's pretty easy, as you can access valve body by dropping pan, dropping fluid, and just popping in a remanufactured valve body. But have shop diagnose first, labor should be no more than 2 hours to replace valve body, if that's what it is. Ask a lot of questions of transmission shop, if their good at diagnostic, do they work on F150/Expeditions regularly. You don't want a shop that's just going to sell a transmission.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you look closely at JP's info he is 72. Getting down to do the work is easy but getting back up can be a *****.
There have been a couple of times I thought I may not be able to get back up, and I'm only 61...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a warm day in San Francisco today. I think I'll bring my auto creeper out to the Lake and work on my tan. Getting back up from the creepers another story. Theirs always young people jogging by, maybe I'll yell out to one of them when it's time to go home!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

psudmb326

Reaction score
Sadly I had the exact same thing happen, but I continued to drive it, and tow my trailer. Ended up needing a new transmission. The good thing is that because our trucks use the same tranny that cop cars use they aren't too expensive... at least that is what they told me. I think I paid 2500 for a new (not rebuilt) one. Of course, I had to be there when they installed it.. seemed legit. Sorry not much help... but at least you know the worst case scenario..