2006 Expy crank no start new fpdm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike D

Reaction score
My 2006 Expy XLT 5.4L 110K miles. Wife was driving it and it died on her. Check Gauge light came on before it quit. I met up with her and got it started. No Check Gauge light while I limped it home but it was a rough ride. Felt like it a bad plug/misfire. Next day it would crank but not start. Did some research which led me to the fuel pump driver control module.Pulled the fuel pump driver control module and it was corroded out on back side. Installed new fpdm, cleared code, made sure the fuel pump reset was not tripped. Was able to get it to start once. Checked #12 fuse and it is intact. Any ideas?

B

bedrck46

also check fuse 28 use a test meter and not just your eyes You may also want to disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes and see if that helps

B

bedrck46

if that doesn't work check to see if you have voltage going into and coming from the fuel shut off switch located behind the passenger side kick panel

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked fuel pressure? The pump might have gone out. Or is not pumping adequate pressure for starting all the time. There should be a Schrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail that you can connect a pressure gauge to. O'Reilly, Autozone, etc. rent them out for free.

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similar issue. When the mechanic installed it they could not get it to start a second time. They took off the rubber spacers that came with the replacement module and reused the original bolts. It has worked fine ever since. The replacement part came from NAPA. I have been meaning to get back under there and put a couple of nuts for spacers when the weather gets better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mike D

Reaction score
I had a similar issue. When the mechanic installed it they could not get it to start a second time. They took off the rubber spacers that came with the replacement module and reused the original bolts. It has worked fine ever since. The replacement part came from NAPA. I have been meaning to get back under there and put a couple of nuts for spacers when the weather gets better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I am going to give this a try first as it is free and the easiest.

OP
OP
M

Mike D

Reaction score
also check fuse 28 use a test meter and not just your eyes You may also want to disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes and see if that helps

I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes and used a jumper wire to clear the engine code. I will try the 20-30 minutes. I just hope its not the nonserviceable relay and have to change out the entire fuse box.

I like the truck but man its turning into a bigger money pit than my Jeep Wrangler.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't believe the non serviceable bs that they hand us unless it is a proprietary part. If you can get the relay number on the board you'll be able to find it with some searching.

B

bedrck46

Check for voltage at the fuel shut off if you have voltage there then I would say the relay is good