2006 Front Driver Suspension Rattle on Bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

faulk175

Reaction score
Ok, need some help on my wife's 2006 XLT. When driving on rough roads or hitting random bumps, there is a "rattle" feeling and noise coming from the front driver's side somewhere. It can be felt slightly through the steering wheel, but not so bad that it feels like your going to lose control. It's not the same "clanking" noise you get when the IWE solenoid is bad. I have gotten the front end up in the air and pulled back and forth on the front wheels at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and there's no movement. I also climbed underneath and grabbed, pushed/pulled/shook on all of the suspension parts plus anything else that I thought might make that noise. Nothing is loose. I noticed that the driver's side front shock(original) is completely caked in some kind of grease or fluid, I mean COMPLETLEY caked! Could this be my issue? Also, I grabbed the steering shaft and I can turn it a little by hand but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

OP
OP
F

faulk175

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on this? We have a 1400 mile road trip coming up and I'd really like to get her fixed up. TIA.

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a busted shock. If all the oil is leaked out that rattle probably is the shock piston moving up and down freely.