Sun roof rattle, yes again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmm interesting.. we were having some kind of rattle that my wife was saying was the passanger ceiling handle... mabye ours is in the sunroof too!?! have you tested with the interior cover both open and closed? I'll check that out next time I'm driving... for us the rattle only happens around 45-55 mph on a specific road that's a little bumpy.
Our handle rattles too. Haven’t had a chance to look at it yet. It’s definitely the handle in ours.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you had success with Vaseline that wore away quickly,,but know the spot, I would add an adhesive backed pad to the area and see if it keeps the area taut.

When I did post production work on brand new Camrys, we had a felt like pad that had adhesive on it we called mole skin. I don’t know the real name for it, I believe it was a 3m product. We used it to hold wires added for things like security systems, auto dimming mirrors, etc. it was thin, not an eighth inch thick. Maybe a heavy sixteenth thick. It was like a 1.5x2.5 piece.

I’ve heard in my old car resto forums about guys using Velcro to stop rattles from dashes and such. I’ve never done that. Seems logical that might adhere to a spot and keep it from moving.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you had success with Vaseline that wore away quickly,,but know the spot, I would add an adhesive backed pad to the area and see if it keeps the area taut.

When I did post production work on brand new Camrys, we had a felt like pad that had adhesive on it we called mole skin. I don’t know the real name for it, I believe it was a 3m product. We used it to hold wires added for things like security systems, auto dimming mirrors, etc. it was thin, not an eighth inch thick. Maybe a heavy sixteenth thick. It was like a 1.5x2.5 piece.

I’ve heard in my old car resto forums about guys using Velcro to stop rattles from dashes and such. I’ve never done that. Seems logical that might adhere to a spot and keep it from moving.
I had used velcro in my Corvette in the rear where the roof would be stowed to keep it from squeaking. It worked.

Benztech

Reaction score
I would follow the TSB for the roof. The grease specified is very tacky and lasts a very long time- much longer than vasoline (which can also degrade seals since it is petroleum based). My wife's roof hasn't made a peep since i cleaned and greased it two years ago following the TSB. I also replaced broken sliding glass panel brackets per Ford's TSB when I lubed the sunroof.

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
Finally took mine into the dealership, they fiddled with the sun roof and ended up putting grease (Krytox I think). It fixed the popping noises out not the rattling. Today I found that the plastic trim that spans the seal between the sun roof and the rear fixed pane is the main culprit. Going to try and thicken the foam gasket to keep more pressure on the trim.

We could probably start a rattle bingo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett