Sun roof rattle, yes again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyjess

Reaction score
Hello, I know, I know, this subject has been discussed previously. I have a 2022 XLT that just turned one year in my hands, since day one there has been an on and off rattle coming from the sunroof; this is my wifes daily driver so you can figure that if this noise is annoying for me and I only drive this car sometimes in weekends, to her, it is a headache trigger. It has been three times in the dealership and surprisingly, the noise hasn´t appeared while they have the car, they have even "adjusted and lubed" the complete sunroof assembly. In different places of the internet (forums, youtube, etc) I have seen very very different probable causes and potential solutions, and so far, the quietest I could get it was by applying vaseline to the complete edge where the front glass contacts both, roof and rear glass when closed, this gave us about two hours of quiteness but as soon as the vaseline started to dry down, the rattle came back with a vengeance desire. After that I tried with sprayable lithium grease, no good, then with dry lube, worse.

Not that I like to tell my story, but maybe to soften your helping hearts; my wife had a Toyota Prado that was in perfect state when I was diagnosed with lymphoma and she took me, forh and back, in less than six months, between appointments, tests, surgeries and finally chemotherapy, about 50 times to a city 200 miles away in a very crappy road, so, her car deteriorated logically and this rattly sun roof Expy is what I decided to get her instead.

Any help or advise will be greatly appretiated.

buckeroo

Reaction score
hmm interesting.. we were having some kind of rattle that my wife was saying was the passanger ceiling handle... mabye ours is in the sunroof too!?! have you tested with the interior cover both open and closed? I'll check that out next time I'm driving... for us the rattle only happens around 45-55 mph on a specific road that's a little bumpy.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not that I like to tell my story, but maybe to soften your helping hearts; my wife had a Toyota Prado that was in perfect state when I was diagnosed with lymphoma and she took me, forh and back, in less than six months, between appointments, tests, surgeries and finally chemotherapy, about 50 times to a city 200 miles away in a very crappy road, so, her car deteriorated logically and this rattly sun roof Expy is what I decided to get her instead.
I hope your treatment was successful. Best wishes.

OP
OP
J

jimmyjess

Reaction score
hmm interesting.. we were having some kind of rattle that my wife was saying was the passanger ceiling handle... mabye ours is in the sunroof too!?! have you tested with the interior cover both open and closed? I'll check that out next time I'm driving... for us the rattle only happens around 45-55 mph on a specific road that's a little bumpy.
That handle rattles as well, not as loud as the sunroof but also rattles, I took out the covers and tightened the screws, it got better but still rattles sometimes.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That handle rattles as well, not as loud as the sunroof but also rattles, I took out the covers and tightened the screws, it got better but still rattles sometimes.

Ford issued a TSB for a sunroof rattle (and other issues) on the 2018 - 2021 Ford Expedition: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10201618-0001.pdf

Although it doesn’t list the 2022 Expedition, you may want to review this TSB to see if it might help you determine the rattle cause?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What the hell is up with Ford and the various rattles? From Cam phaser rattle to turbo wastegate rattle to sunroof rattle & A-pillar rattle etc. This is ridiculous.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't worry, please. My 2024 Expedition Max XLT even rattles without a sunroof. So far, I still do not figure out where the rattling sound comes from. All I know is the sound comes from interior.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have a dodger charger ratting when roads go rough. Eventually I figured the sound comes from the roof light cover above driver's head. Push it on and off twice, ratting sound is gone, for now at least.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett