2007 expedition key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick Falcone

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just upgraded from my 03 to 2007 expedition. Loving it so far. I was only given one key with it. I have another Ford key not cut. I was just wondering if I have to go to dealer for this? Is there a transmitter inside that has to be programmed? Thanks for the help. -Nick

iimagine

2016 EL XLT
Reaction score
Any locksmith worth his nuggets should be able to hook you up.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ace Hardware here made me one to match he one I had, 2008, Was same price as other keys. No problem.

RobE

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just upgraded from my 03 to 2007 expedition. Loving it so far. I was only given one key with it. I have another Ford key not cut. I was just wondering if I have to go to dealer for this? Is there a transmitter inside that has to be programmed? Thanks for the help. -Nick
Yes, you need to have the passive antitheft system programmed. Because you only have one key, you will have to program both keys. I was in the same situation as you, one key. I purchased one off amazon and used forscan to program the key. Ace hardware cut the key which would open the door, but not start the vehicle until I program PATS to recognize the keys.

Arcticfrost

Reaction score
I got a pair of programmable keys and cut them and paired them myself. I only got one key with mine but fortunately it also had the remote start with it as well so I was able to sync the new keys that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig Menn

Reaction score
When I bought my 07 used, it only had one key too. Went to Lowe’s and they were able to sell and program me a key. Just make sure it works, took the key 2-3 times to get the programming right.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The keys you buy at chain stores are not programmed keys. They are clones of the key you have. The problem with them is that they have a battery in them. When the battery dies, your key stops working and you are screwed.

Either program a new one with Forscan or find a real locksmith and pay the $100 for a real one.

The real keys have nothing but a small coil in them. The car actually is programmed to recognize the key. That's why a locksmith has to plug a computer into the car to program it for the new real key, and why Walmart only needs your key to make a cloned copy with a battery in it which mimics your original.