2007 Ford Expedition has a ghost somewhere.. Please help??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

chris2888

Reaction score
Ok guys it finally acted up and I was able to use a Multimeter. See my settings on the pic below.

I put the black wire of the multimeter on the small ground wire of the starter solenoid as in what STamp said in a prior post. Then put the red wire of the multimeter on the power to the starter solenoid.

I put the ignition switch in start position and it read 12.44. Then had my wife turn the ignition to see if it would crank while I head the Multimeter on the wires and it never moved off of 12.44.

I also put the black wire on the ground of the starter an as well and hot on the solenoid and same 12.44.

So this tells me that with all the dash lights on as normal, that its not sending a signal down to the starter solenoid to engage and try to start.

I replaced the ignition switch, still did it. I do have the neutral safety switch, but have not put it on yet.

What would be my next steps to check? Could it be the other part of the ignition housing? Any relays in the steering column? Wires in the column?

This is such a pain to track down.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sent you a pm, need your email address for the wiring diagrams. The starter relay is in the battery junction box and not mounted on the firewall like older generations.

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I have a similar problem of not starting. Did you ever figure out the problem? I replaced the neutral switch on the transmission but that didn't fix it. Because it doesn't even click when turning the key, I suspect maybe the relay, but was unable to find info as to where it's located. The previous post says its in the fuse box, so I'll check there, but just wondered what you figured out.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a similar problem of not starting. Did you ever figure out the problem? I replaced the neutral switch on the transmission but that didn't fix it. Because it doesn't even click when turning the key, I suspect maybe the relay, but was unable to find info as to where it's located. The previous post says its in the fuse box, so I'll check there, but just wondered what you figured out.

Welcome to the forum.

It would be best that you start a new thread for your problem
Although your problem may be similar That doesn't mean that it will require the same fix.
Start a new thread and give as much information as you can about your problem and what you have done so far.
This way any responses that are received will be for you and not be for someone else's problem

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still working on his problem. You would not believe how a simple circuit has been made overly complicated on his Expy EL. Lets just say Boolean logic is prevalent in this one.

Right now we are testing for the point of failure to be on the pcm side of the circuitry - the tcm/range selector switches are suspect.

On the positive side of the trigger circuit there are around 19 points of failure that will keep it from starting. The circuit has been modified so that the pcm (negative side) no longer has any say on the start sequence. If the problem doesn't return then we know there is an issue on the negative side of the circuit. If it does return then the problem is on the positive side of the circuit.

There was an issue with one of the connectors in the battery junction box which has been fixed, but the problem returned after a few days of multiple starts without an issue.

Last edited: